From: senn on

"C A Upsdell" <cupsdell(a)nospam.nospam> skrev i meddelelsen
> Does such a list exist? Right now I'm in the market for a laptop, likely
> from HP, but I will have Windows 7 which requires HAV to use Virtual PC,
> and I can't find a definitive list of which products support HAV.
>
> Anyone know of such a list?
>
> TIA

You can put this tool on a stick and ask the seller to test the labtop.
Microsoft� Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool
Download it from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0ee2a17f-8538-4619-8d1c-05d27e11adb2&displaylang=en

From: C A Upsdell on
On 2010-02-21 17:59, senn wrote:

> "C A Upsdell" <cupsdell(a)nospam.nospam> skrev i meddelelsen
>> Does such a list exist? Right now I'm in the market for a laptop,
>> likely from HP, but I will have Windows 7 which requires HAV to use
>> Virtual PC, and I can't find a definitive list of which products
>> support HAV.
>>
>> Anyone know of such a list?
>>
> You can put this tool on a stick and ask the seller to test the labtop.
> Microsoft� Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool
> Download it from here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0ee2a17f-8538-4619-8d1c-05d27e11adb2&displaylang=en

I knew about this some time ago. The problem is that the seller should
refuse -- and almost certainly will refuse -- because they cannot know
that the stick is safe.

Perhaps the seller would be willing to download the tool from the
Microsoft site, as this should assure them that it is safe. But I
suspect that the seller may have blanket instructions to its sales
personnel not to download *any* software to the demo machines.

What is particularly annoying about this situation is that many vendors
like HP don't bother to publish the information on their sites: at least
not in any place I have been able to find. (Dell is a notable
exception.) If I find out what the processor is, I can find out whether
it supports HAV: but this does not tell me whether a particular model
of PC enables it. And the newsgroups are full of complaints by people
who bought PCs thinking that the PCs supported HAV, only to find out
that the PCs did not, or that the PCs would, but only with a BIOS
upgrade which is not yet available.

Sigh.

From: senn on

> On 2010-02-21 17:59, senn wrote:
>>
>> "C A Upsdell" <cupsdell(a)nospam.nospam> skrev i meddelelsen
>>> Does such a list exist? Right now I'm in the market for a laptop,
>>> likely from HP, but I will have Windows 7 which requires HAV to use
>>> Virtual PC, and I can't find a definitive list of which products
>>> support HAV.
>>>
>>> Anyone know of such a list?
>>>
>> You can put this tool on a stick and ask the seller to test the labtop.
>> Microsoft� Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool
>> Download it from here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0ee2a17f-8538-4619-8d1c-05d27e11adb2&displaylang=en
>
> I knew about this some time ago. The problem is that the seller should
> refuse -- and almost certainly will refuse -- because they cannot know
> that the stick is safe.
>
> Perhaps the seller would be willing to download the tool from the
> Microsoft site, as this should assure them that it is safe. But I suspect
> that the seller may have blanket instructions to its sales personnel not
> to download *any* software to the demo machines.
>
> What is particularly annoying about this situation is that many vendors
> like HP don't bother to publish the information on their sites: at least
> not in any place I have been able to find. (Dell is a notable exception.)
> If I find out what the processor is, I can find out whether it supports
> HAV: but this does not tell me whether a particular model of PC enables
> it. And the newsgroups are full of complaints by people who bought PCs
> thinking that the PCs supported HAV, only to find out that the PCs did
> not, or that the PCs would, but only with a BIOS upgrade which is not yet
> available.
>
> Sigh.

I thought about the problem of trusting. But think it's
within reach to persuade the seller in one or the other way.
The seller may run a virus-test on another machine. Or he knows,
it's normally riskfree downloading programs from a microsoft-page.
After all, anyone seller likes to sell you a labtop.
If he's a stubborn type just ask him - as another one here suggested -
to include a guarantee in a contract of sale.
One thing is for sure; someone among a lot of sellers will be prepared
to help you in one way or the other. It's just a matter to present him
for the problem and make it clear to him, that a buy depends on it.
And that you want a guarantee.
/senn

From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:04:33 -0500, C A Upsdell
<cupsdell(a)nospam.nospam> wrote:

>On 2010-02-21 17:59, senn wrote:
>>
>> "C A Upsdell" <cupsdell(a)nospam.nospam> skrev i meddelelsen
>>> Does such a list exist? Right now I'm in the market for a laptop,
>>> likely from HP, but I will have Windows 7 which requires HAV to use
>>> Virtual PC, and I can't find a definitive list of which products
>>> support HAV.
>>>
>>> Anyone know of such a list?
>>>
>> You can put this tool on a stick and ask the seller to test the labtop.
>> Microsoft� Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool
>> Download it from here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0ee2a17f-8538-4619-8d1c-05d27e11adb2&displaylang=en
>
>I knew about this some time ago. The problem is that the seller should
>refuse -- and almost certainly will refuse -- because they cannot know
>that the stick is safe.
>
>Perhaps the seller would be willing to download the tool from the
>Microsoft site, as this should assure them that it is safe. But I
>suspect that the seller may have blanket instructions to its sales
>personnel not to download *any* software to the demo machines.
>
>What is particularly annoying about this situation is that many vendors
>like HP don't bother to publish the information on their sites: at least
>not in any place I have been able to find. (Dell is a notable
>exception.) If I find out what the processor is, I can find out whether
>it supports HAV: but this does not tell me whether a particular model
>of PC enables it. And the newsgroups are full of complaints by people
>who bought PCs thinking that the PCs supported HAV, only to find out
>that the PCs did not, or that the PCs would, but only with a BIOS
>upgrade which is not yet available.
>
>Sigh.

Are you looking at consumer level laptops or business? I can tell you
that the Dell e series e6400 and e6500 specfically have VT support. I
buy these for my company. The Dell d620 and d630 models also have it
as long as the CPU does.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
From: SaGS on
"C A Upsdell" <cupsdell(a)nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> On 2010-02-21 17:59, senn wrote:
> If I find out what the processor is, I can find out whether it supports
> HAV

Yes, you can know in most cases, but not always. Speaking of Intel CPUs, I
think the maximum you can get from a computer's presentation materials is
the processor number. Unfortunately, for a few processor #s there are
processors both with and without VT. The examples I found on
http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx are E7400, E7500, Q8300, E5300, E5400.