From: DaveHawkey on

Hi,

I have a workbook which opens with the window title

filename.xls:1

as if there are two or more views of the same workbook. However, there
is only one view I can find (I have minimised the window within Excel,
looked for other Excel windows but to no avail).

When I try to close the file (ctrl-w or clicking the lower x) the
workbook disappears (as expected) but Excel behaves as if I have just
closed one of several views: it doesn't ask me if I would like to save
changes. However, when I close the Excel program, it behaves as if I am
closing filename.xls and asks if I want to save changes. As I work with
a large number of Excel files at any one time, this can become
confusing and could lead to saving stuff that I didn't want to save or
losing changes I have made.

In case it helps, if I set up a new view with Window -> New Window, I
get

filename.xls:3

implying that number 2 is floating around somewhere, I just can't find
it.

Any ideas?

Dave

--
DaveHawkey
From: Dave Peterson on
If you don't see that other window (filename.xls:2), then it's either off the
screen or hidden.

I'd try this first, even though I don't think that this is the problem.
Window|Arrange|Tiled
(in xl2003 menus)
to see if it was just off the screen.
(I don't think that this is the problem)

The next thing is to look for hidden windows.
Window|unhide
(in xl2003 menus)
Then maybe tile the windows

And try the ctrl-w stuff to close the window(s) you don't want.

--

Dave Peterson