From: Dave Coventry on
On 29 June 2010 14:12, Denis Fateyev <denis(a)fateyev.com> wrote:
> Did you have these locks immediately after you restarted the samba service?

Yes.

> If not, I suggest you to deploy `3.4 - 3.5` samba branch on test machine and
> check it out with vista again.

The funny thing is it was working fine before. I don't have a test
machine(well, not ons site anyway)

> As I know, there is recommended to use samba version greater than 3.3, if
> you're planning to use it with vista.
> With test machine, you won't break anything in working configuration and
> will check it's compatibility with new windows versions.
>
> I personally use `3.5.3` with windows xp and seven in my local network. The
> server with samba acts as domain controller and there are no any issues with
> xp nor seven.

Okay, I'll look into installing a backports version,then...
Dave Coventry wrote:
>Hi Moray, thanks for the assistance!
>
>On 29 June 2010 10:41, Moray Henderson (ICT)
<Moray.Henderson(a)ict.om.org>
>wrote:
>> Which version of Samba?
>
>Samba version 3.2.5
>
>> Does smbstatus(1) list the file as being locked?  If so, it should
give
>a pid you can examine.  The fuser(1) and lsof(8) commands can track
which
>process has a file open.
>
>No. smbstatus returns "No locked files"
>
>> If rebooting the server does not clear the lock, there's either a
lock
>file
>> or a cached lock record somewhere.  Try /var/lib/samba/locking.tdb.
>> Although it's binary, you can grep(1) it for the filename, or use
>> tdbdump(8) to display the contents.  According to
>>
>http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#What_are_tdb
_fi
>les.3F,
>> locking.tdb is not required to persist across restarts.  I wouldn't
try
>deleting
>> this when Samba is running; even with Samba shut down I would rename
it
>> rather than deleting it.
>
>There is no file in /var/lib/samba/ called 'locking.tdb'
>The only files in that directory bearing a date later than 14th Dec
>2009 are these three:
>passdb.tdb
>registry.tdb
>wins.dat

The current .tdb files must be in a different location on Debian Lenny
Samba 3.2.5. /var/cache/samba is another common place. Try

testparm -sv | grep directory

In Samba 3.4 the "state directory" and "cache directory" parameters tell
you where to find them. Can't remember now if they were there in 3.2.
If not, use

smbd -b | less

and look for STATEDIR and CACHEDIR in the Samba build options.

Moray.
"To err is human.  To purr, feline"

> The current .tdb files must be in a different location on Debian Lenny
> Samba 3.2.5. /var/cache/samba is another common place. Try
>
> testparm -sv | grep directory

Or

find / -name \*.tdb -print