From: Moray Henderson (ICT) on
Dave Coventry wrote:
>I'm not sure that this is the right place to ask about this, but one
>of my users is having a problem with her files,specifically excel
>files which she is editing with openoffice.
>
>I suspect that she is closing down her PC without logging out or
>something and so appears to be still logged in.
>
>She is using Vista and the server is a Debian Lenny box.
>
>Whenever she tries to access the files on the server the file is
>apparently "locked for editing by unknown user".
>
>I cannot find any .~ lockfiles and rebooting both machines does not
>resolve this.
>
>The permissions are set to 777 and the owner of the files is this
>particular user.
>
>As I say, I'm assuming this is a Samba issue.
>
>Can anyone suggest a way to resolve this?
>
>~ Dave

Which version of Samba?

Does smbstatus(1) list the file as being locked? If so, it should give
a pid you can examine. The fuser(1) and lsof(8) commands can track
which process has a file open.

If rebooting the server does not clear the lock, there's either a lock
file or a cached lock record somewhere. Try /var/lib/samba/locking.tdb.
Although it's binary, you can grep(1) it for the filename, or use
tdbdump(8) to display the contents. According to
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#What_are_tdb_
files.3F, locking.tdb is not required to persist across restarts. I
wouldn't try deleting this when Samba is running; even with Samba shut
down I would rename it rather than deleting it.

However, there has got to be a better solution to stale locks than
restarting Samba and deleting a tdb file every time it happens. Does
the lock clear automatically after a time? There may be lock tuning
parameters that could help - see smb.conf(5) for details.

Moray.
"To err is human.  To purr, feline"

Hi Moray, thanks for the assistance!

On 29 June 2010 10:41, Moray Henderson (ICT) <Moray.Henderson(a)ict.om.org> wrote:
> Which version of Samba?

Samba version 3.2.5

> Does smbstatus(1) list the file as being locked?  If so, it should give a pid you can examine.  The fuser(1) and lsof(8) commands can track which process has a file open.

No. smbstatus returns "No locked files"

> If rebooting the server does not clear the lock, there's either a lock file
> or a cached lock record somewhere.  Try /var/lib/samba/locking.tdb.
> Although it's binary, you can grep(1) it for the filename, or use
> tdbdump(8) to display the contents.  According to
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#What_are_tdb_files.3F,
> locking.tdb is not required to persist across restarts.  I wouldn't try deleting
> this when Samba is running; even with Samba shut down I would rename it
> rather than deleting it.

There is no file in /var/lib/samba/ called 'locking.tdb'
The only files in that directory bearing a date later than 14th Dec
2009 are these three:
passdb.tdb
registry.tdb
wins.dat
Hello Dave,

`lsof | grep "your-file-name"`

If it locked with any of smbd process, try `kill PID`, where `pid` - smbd
pid you've got previously.

---
wbr, Denis.

2010/6/29 Dave Coventry <dgcoventry(a)gmail.com>

> Hi Moray, thanks for the assistance!
>
> On 29 June 2010 10:41, Moray Henderson (ICT) <Moray.Henderson(a)ict.om.org>
> wrote:
> > Which version of Samba?
>
> Samba version 3.2.5
>
> > Does smbstatus(1) list the file as being locked? If so, it should give a
> pid you can examine. The fuser(1) and lsof(8) commands can track which
> process has a file open.
>
> No. smbstatus returns "No locked files"
>
> > If rebooting the server does not clear the lock, there's either a lock
> file
> > or a cached lock record somewhere. Try /var/lib/samba/locking.tdb.
> > Although it's binary, you can grep(1) it for the filename, or use
> > tdbdump(8) to display the contents. According to
> >
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#What_are_tdb_files.3F
> ,
> > locking.tdb is not required to persist across restarts. I wouldn't try
> deleting
> > this when Samba is running; even with Samba shut down I would rename it
> > rather than deleting it.
>
> There is no file in /var/lib/samba/ called 'locking.tdb'
> The only files in that directory bearing a date later than 14th Dec
> 2009 are these three:
> passdb.tdb
> registry.tdb
> wins.dat
Hi Dennis,
On 29 June 2010 11:47, Denis Fateyev <denis(a)fateyev.com> wrote:
> Hello Dave,
>
> `lsof | grep "your-file-name"`

The command:
lsof | grep "Electricity Spreadsheet.ods"

Give no output.

The User says that all the files in the directory are locked. So, I've run
lsof | grep "Water & Elec Consumption"

which gives this output:
bash 4103 root cwd DIR 8,2 4096
67715823 /home/patience/Water & Elec Consumption
bash 5466 root cwd DIR 8,2 4096
67715823 /home/patience/Water & Elec Consumption
lsof 5619 root cwd DIR 8,2 4096
67715823 /home/patience/Water & Elec Consumption
grep 5620 root cwd DIR 8,2 4096
67715823 /home/patience/Water & Elec Consumption
lsof 5621 root cwd DIR 8,2 4096
67715823 /home/patience/Water & Elec Consumption

# kill 4103
# kill 5466
# kill 5619
-bash: kill: (5619) - No such process
# kill 5620
-bash: kill: (5620) - No such process
# kill 5621
-bash: kill: (5621) - No such process
# lsof | grep "Water & Elec Consumption"
bash 4103 root cwd DIR 8,2 4096
67715823 /home/patience/Water & Elec Consumption

All files in /home/patience/Water & Elec Consumption still locked.

:~(
Hi Klaus,

On 29 June 2010 14:04, Klaus Ruebsam <k.ruebsam(a)gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I´m not at all an expert on Samba, but might it be something quite
> simple as the ampersand-sign (&) within your directory name ?!?

There are other directories which do not have the ampersand, but which
also demonstrate the same behaviour, so I don't think it's the
ampersand.