From: Charlie Gibbs on
Recently some cow orkers talked me into installing Ubuntu on a new box.
(I've been a Slackware fan from the beginning.) I was quite impressed.
The installation was considerably simpler than Slackware - and _much_
easier than Windows - while being prettier than either. Upgrading
the installation to 10.4 (the install CD was version 9.1) via the
Internet was just as easy (although slow - if I had it to do over
I would download the latest install disk image before doing anything).

Finding and installing new packages was a snap. At least until I
tried to install xmms. This is one of those programs that, as the
saying goes, I'll give up when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.
All I want to do is play MP3 files, without having to register them
with a package, build databases, or whatever. I want to pick files
by name, not depend on ID3 tags which may or may not be accurate or
even present.

And here is where the problems began. apt-get has never heard of
xmms. Yes, I know it's an old program, but Linux is famous for not
dropping support for a program just because it hasn't been updated
for a while. I tried building xmms from the same tarball I used
on my original Slackware installation, and the configure script
complained about a missing glibc. In fact, anything involving GTK
seems to be a non-starter under Ubuntu. In desperation, I started
copying installed modules across from my Slackware box directly
into /usr/bin on the Ubuntu box. I finally managed to get xmms
to come up, but it couldn't select MP3 files, even though I could
bring up a list of the files.

Worse still, other programs stopped working. Yes, I had hacked on
the box so hard that I broke it. Eventually I tried shutting down -
and even that wouldn't work. After hitting the power switch I tried
re-booting - and that hung in the initlal Ubuntu splash screen.

I realized that as nice as Ubuntu is, it was time to get my Slack back.
I wiped and repartitioned the disk, did a full Slackware 12.2 install,
and just for the hell of it I opened an xterm window and typed "xmms"
without trying to install it - and it came up!

I find it ironic that a package that would not even install on
Ubuntu is included as standard on a Slackware installation.

Has anyone ever gotten xmms to run under Ubuntu?

--
/~\ cgibbs(a)kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

From: John Hasler on
Charlie Gibbs writes:
> apt-get has never heard of xmms.

"apt-cache search xmms" gets 106 hits on Debian/Sid.

> I tried building xmms from the same tarball I used on my original
> Slackware installation...

Why didn't you download the upstream source? That would not have been
configured for Slackware.

> In desperation, I started copying installed modules across from my
> Slackware box directly into /usr/bin on the Ubuntu box.

That was remarkably stupid.

> Has anyone ever gotten xmms to run under Ubuntu?

Xmms2 works fine on Debian. I expect it works fine on Ubuntu as well.
It's probably part of the default install.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> Recently some cow orkers talked me into installing Ubuntu on a new box.
> (I've been a Slackware fan from the beginning.) I was quite impressed.
> The installation was considerably simpler than Slackware - and _much_
> easier than Windows - while being prettier than either. Upgrading
> the installation to 10.4 (the install CD was version 9.1) via the
> Internet was just as easy (although slow - if I had it to do over
> I would download the latest install disk image before doing anything).
>
> Finding and installing new packages was a snap. At least until I
> tried to install xmms. This is one of those programs that, as the
> saying goes, I'll give up when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.
> All I want to do is play MP3 files, without having to register them
> with a package, build databases, or whatever. I want to pick files
> by name, not depend on ID3 tags which may or may not be accurate or
> even present.
>
> And here is where the problems began. apt-get has never heard of
> xmms. Yes, I know it's an old program, but Linux is famous for not
> dropping support for a program just because it hasn't been updated
> for a while. I tried building xmms from the same tarball I used
> on my original Slackware installation, and the configure script
> complained about a missing glibc. In fact, anything involving GTK
> seems to be a non-starter under Ubuntu. In desperation, I started
> copying installed modules across from my Slackware box directly
> into /usr/bin on the Ubuntu box. I finally managed to get xmms
> to come up, but it couldn't select MP3 files, even though I could
> bring up a list of the files.
>
> Worse still, other programs stopped working. Yes, I had hacked on
> the box so hard that I broke it. Eventually I tried shutting down -
> and even that wouldn't work. After hitting the power switch I tried
> re-booting - and that hung in the initlal Ubuntu splash screen.
>
> I realized that as nice as Ubuntu is, it was time to get my Slack back.
> I wiped and repartitioned the disk, did a full Slackware 12.2 install,
> and just for the hell of it I opened an xterm window and typed "xmms"
> without trying to install it - and it came up!
>
> I find it ironic that a package that would not even install on
> Ubuntu is included as standard on a Slackware installation.
>
> Has anyone ever gotten xmms to run under Ubuntu?

apt-get xmms2 ?
From: mjt on
On 27 Jun 10 19:59:08 -0800
"Charlie Gibbs" <cgibbs(a)kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote:

> I realized that as nice as Ubuntu is, it was time to get my Slack back.
> I wiped and repartitioned the disk, did a full Slackware 12.2 install,
> and just for the hell of it I opened an xterm window and typed "xmms"
> without trying to install it - and it came up!
>
> I find it ironic that a package that would not even install on
> Ubuntu is included as standard on a Slackware installation.
>
> Has anyone ever gotten xmms to run under Ubuntu?

I've been able to get xmms2 to install/run on about 10 distros.

Maybe you're after "xmms2" ... I'm sure you're aware "xmms" is from 2007.

--
Cauliflower is nothing but Cabbage with a College Education.
-- Mark Twain

From: Denis McMahon on
On 28/06/10 04:35, John Hasler wrote:

>> Has anyone ever gotten xmms to run under Ubuntu?
>
> Xmms2 works fine on Debian. I expect it works fine on Ubuntu as well.
> It's probably part of the default install.

Apt-cache search xmms finds xmms2 on ubuntu 10.4, and so does opening
synaptic, clicking search, and looking for xmms2.

Installing xmms2 with all plugins as I type this .....

and ... having figured out that I need to add a gui (I chose promoe) and
how to tell the daemon to use alsa instead of pulseaudio (because
pulseaudio does not get on with my system and never has), it seems to be
working just fine.

Rgds

Denis McMahon