From: namflow44 on

My friend's parents have asked me to "fix their computer"

I think the only problem is: I need to re-install XP and drivers.

The only problem with that is I cannot get to the boot menu. On start
up, the screen goes blank and goes to the "megatrends" screen where it
tells you the status of your HD and stuff. I tried ps2 and usb keyboards
but i cannot get to the boot menu. Both keyboards I was using have led
lights but they never turn on I checked connections and all were
fastened properly.

thanks for reading

--
namflow44
namflow44's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/232913.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Peter Foldes on
Can you open in Safe Mode?

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

From: namflow44 on

no, the computer stays stuck on the american megatrends page...

From: Jose on
On Jun 15, 1:19 pm, namflow44 <namflow44.4cl...(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
> My friend's parents have asked me to "fix their computer"
>
> I think the only problem is: I need to re-install XP and drivers.
>
> The only problem with that is I cannot get to the boot menu. On start
> up, the screen goes blank and goes to the "megatrends" screen where it
> tells you the status of your HD and stuff. I tried ps2 and usb keyboards
> but i cannot get to the boot menu. Both keyboards I was using have led
> lights but they never turn on I checked connections and all were
> fastened properly.
>
> thanks for reading
>
> --
> namflow44
> namflow44's Profile:http://forums.techarena.in/members/232913.htm
> View this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1346441.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

It sounds like it is not getting far enough along to be able to tell
if you need to reinstall XP or not.

Let's say you do have to reinstall XP - do you have a genuine bootable
XP installation CD?

Is this a desktop or laptop system and if you know the make and model
what is it?

Does the system have a CD drive?

Prior to you being asked to fix the computer, was there any statement
preceding that along the lines of:

Everything was working just fine until __________ happened and now it
won't boot at all!

Does the system sound like the fans are running okay (some whirring
noises).

When you power it up does it beep? One short beep is generally a good
thing, so if you have zero beeps that would not be good. If you have
more than one short beep, the system is trying to tell you something.

If you have some other kinds of beeps, try to describe what the beeps
sound like: one short, two short, one short one long, two shorts one
long, one continuous beep, etc.

Here is how to decode the AMI beep codes during the POST (Power On
Self Test) of a system with an AMI BIOS:

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

Any of that sound familiar?

When the Megatrends screen show up and shows you the status of the HD,
what is the status of the HD?

Is there a message on the Megatrends screen that tells you how to get
into Setup or system BIOS (press DEL or F1 or something like that) and
what happens when you do that? Pressing the DEL key is what I use on
my system with American Megatrends BIOS to get into the setup.

Do you have access to a Phillips screwdriver?
From: Daave on
namflow44 wrote:
> My friend's parents have asked me to "fix their computer"
>
> I think the only problem is: I need to re-install XP and drivers.

Why do you think such a drastic measure is needed? Why not identify the
particular problem and solve it? Almost always, it is much easier and
quicker to do this!

> The only problem with that is I cannot get to the boot menu. On start
> up, the screen goes blank and goes to the "megatrends" screen where it
> tells you the status of your HD and stuff.

What is the status of those things? What does it say?

> I tried ps2 and usb
> keyboards but i cannot get to the boot menu. Both keyboards I was
> using have led lights but they never turn on I checked connections
> and all were fastened properly.

Are you able to enter the BIOS? According to this page:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

you need to press the Del key *immediately* after you press the PC's
power button. Sometimes, you need to press it repeatedly until it
"takes."