From: xiong.chiamiov on
I have 2 computers that will connect wirelessly without any problems.
However, the third is being a pain. As I've been sifting through
options on it, I found that it is not connecting to the dhcp server (my
router) at the correct ip. I can change all sorts of other option, but
I am at a loss as to how to make it look at the correct spot. I have
been looking at all kinds of information today, most of it not usefull,
so please tell me if I need to supply you with more information. Thank
you.

From: Duane Arnold "Do forget about on
xiong.chiamiov(a)gmail.com wrote:
> I have 2 computers that will connect wirelessly without any problems.
> However, the third is being a pain. As I've been sifting through
> options on it, I found that it is not connecting to the dhcp server (my
> router) at the correct ip. I can change all sorts of other option, but
> I am at a loss as to how to make it look at the correct spot. I have
> been looking at all kinds of information today, most of it not usefull,
> so please tell me if I need to supply you with more information. Thank
> you.

The make it use static IP(s) on the router.

Duane :)
From: Xiong Chiamiov on
@Duane:
I tried that, but it still wasn't connecting. I seem to remember that
it would connect, but I couldn't ping anything.

@Jeff:
1. Windows XP Home SP2
2. WRT54GL (haven't flashed with 3rd-party firmware)
3. 192.168.1.1
4. 255.255.255.255
5. no
6. wpa-psk; the encryption's correct. It's working correct on the
other two, and it worked once on the problem computer, but it randomly
stopped (without me changing anything, including (un)installing
anything.
7. Yep, I'm connecting to mine; around me around linksys and deh2, but
I'm connecting to nubcakes (which is pretty unique, I'd say).

From: Duane Arnold "Do forget about on
Xiong Chiamiov wrote:
> @Duane:
> I tried that, but it still wasn't connecting. I seem to remember that
> it would connect, but I couldn't ping anything.
>
> @Jeff:
> 1. Windows XP Home SP2
> 2. WRT54GL (haven't flashed with 3rd-party firmware)
> 3. 192.168.1.1
> 4. 255.255.255.255
> 5. no
> 6. wpa-psk; the encryption's correct. It's working correct on the
> other two, and it worked once on the problem computer, but it randomly
> stopped (without me changing anything, including (un)installing
> anything.
> 7. Yep, I'm connecting to mine; around me around linksys and deh2, but
> I'm connecting to nubcakes (which is pretty unique, I'd say).

Is not 192.168.1.1 the Device IP for any Linksys router? So how can the
computer be using 192.168.1.1?

I have not be connected to a router in several months. What's the Subnet
Mask and IP for a machine wired or wireless that has a good
connection, can ping and access the Internet connected to the router?

If the NIC can't get a DHCP IP from the router nor will it work with a
static IP if you are correct is making the computer use a static IP on
the router, then the card may be defective.

Duane :)

From: Jeff Liebermann on
"Xiong Chiamiov" <xiong.chiamiov(a)gmail.com> hath wroth:

> >>2. WRT54GL (haven't flashed with 3rd-party firmware)
>
>>You really should. I like DD-WRT v23 SP1.
>
>Well, I was told not to unless I was comfortable with linux, which I am
>not.

DD-WRT and others have web interfaces. There is very little there
that is Linux specific. It looks like an expanded version of the
stock Linksys firmware. This may be a problem as there are at least
twice as many options and menus. I don't think the problem will be
lack of Linux knowledge. It will be trying to decode the strange
network feature names.

>>>4. 255.255.255.255
>I know, I know. That's what's bugging me. When I do an ipconfig /all,
>that's what shows up. Now, to clarify, that is what shows up as the
>DHCP address. The IP address of the computer is 0.0.0.0. But that
>doesn't change (how long should I wait?).

The DHCP client should take about 30 seconds to give up. Something is
seriously wrong with your Windoze IP network stack. It might be
getting garbage from the DHCP server in the WRT54GL. Try downloading
a DHCP/BOOTP query tool:
| http://www.weirdsolutions.com/weirdSolutions/files/products/desktopSoftware/desktopQueryTool/querytool_free.exe
You do NOT need a valid IP address to use this tool. The XP DHCP
client must be set to DHCP (get IP from router) for this to work. My
guess is that when DHCP is working, the tool will show a proper
response. When it craps out, my guess is that it will show garbage.

>Last time I reset the router, and it worked again. I enabled
>encryption and everything, and it continued. But then it didn't work
>any more after a few days. And the firmware and drivers are updated.

Days? Any chance you have an interference problem from something like
a cordless phone or nearby community wireless network? The
intermittent nature of the problem sounds like interference. (I'm
guessing here).

>>Can you see the nubcakes SSID with whatever client manager you're
>>using on this computah?
>
>Yep. My wireless card is a Planet (off of Newegg), and I'm using their
>utility. It shows the connection being good for about 4 secs, then
>goes to no connection for about 1/2 sec, then repeats, which keeps it
>in the "aquiring network address" stage.

I've have very bad luck with "no name" wireless devices from various
mail order sources.

>Now, I tried the winsock fix shortly before coming here. No go. I
>don't know if it will work wired in its present state because it's not
>close and not mobile. As I said before, it used to be the only
>computer in the house and connected straight to the modem, which
>worked.

Well, I hate to suggest dragging the computer to near the WRT54GL, but
that will tell quite a bit. Maybe borrow a long CAT5 cable and run it
temporarily to the WRT54GL. If it works with the wired ethernet, then
it's unlikely that it's a Windoze IP stack or LSP problem. That makes
it a wireless card or driver problem. However, if it screws up with a
wired connection, then it's a Windoze problem.

>It is an old-ish Gateway running XP Home SP2 (originally ME). Wireless
>card is a Planet WL-8310.
>[http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833322201]

See:
http://www.planet.com.tw/product/product_dm.php?product_id=166&menu_id=14
Sorry, I have no experience with this card. The download page shows
quite a few driver and utility updates.

>It has
>been reformatted once ('bout a year, year and a half ago) and is
>working fine other than that. I am pretty darn sure that it hasn't had
>any spyware on it for a long time, or viruses either.
>My other comps are connected with IPs of 192.168.1.101, 192.168.1.102,
>etc. I have IP addresses open for much longer than that, and no limit
>on DHCP clients.

>Subnet mask: 255.255.255.128

Bingo! Use 255.255.255.0 instead. That's the problem and why the
DHCP server is working but not delivering an IP address.

Also, did you perhaps limit the number of available DHCP addresses in
the router as some manner of security measure? I know you said "no
limit on DHCP clients" but I want to be sure we're talking about the
same thing.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com