From: John Murray on
Hello to All -

Helping a friend with their Outlook 2003 e-mail, using ATT DSL. The computer
is a Windows XP SP2 machine, and the problems we're having is that it cannot
receive e-mail. The same settings in Outlook Express do work, but nothing
I've been able to think of so far has helped -- new Identity, re-enter the
account from scratch, etc. Here is the entire error message:

Message number 1 could not be retrieved. Account: 'acctname',
Server 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response:
'-ERR problem retrieving message.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL):
Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number 0x800420CD

Spent over an hour with ATT DSL tech support, but they were not able to find
a solution. Also, webmail does work.

All help greatly appreciated,
John

From: Brian Tillman on
John Murray <john(a)MurrayComputing.com> wrote:

> Helping a friend with their Outlook 2003 e-mail, using ATT DSL. The
> computer is a Windows XP SP2 machine, and the problems we're having
> is that it cannot receive e-mail. The same settings in Outlook
> Express do work, but nothing I've been able to think of so far has
> helped -- new Identity, re-enter the account from scratch, etc. Here
> is the entire error message:
> Message number 1 could not be retrieved. Account: 'acctname',
> Server 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response:
> '-ERR problem retrieving message.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL):
> Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number 0x800420CD
>
> Spent over an hour with ATT DSL tech support, but they were not able
> to find a solution. Also, webmail does work.

Whether or not webmail works has no bearing on the issue. Enable diagnostic
logging in Outlook and see what's transpiring between it and the server.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831053/en-us
--
Brian Tillman

From: John Murray on
Thank You, Brian -

I'll try your recommendation and see what we get -- probably Friday when I
next visit my friend. The point about webmail working was to show that even
though my friend can't receive mail using Outlook, they can receive using
webmail.

Thanks again,
John

From: Jane on
By the way this is not an isolated incident. 2 people called and asked if I
could help them with a similar problem. They both had everything up and
running for quite some time, made no settings changes and this morning can
send but not receive email while using Outlook.

Their error message was:
! Task 'pop.att.yahoo.com - Receiving' reported error (ox80042110): 'Your
POP3 server is providing inconsistent information. The number of messages
returned by the STAT command does not match the number of items returned by
the UIDL or LIST commands. Contact your POP3 or Internet service provider.'

From: Brian Tillman on
Jane <Jane(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Their error message was:
> ! Task 'pop.att.yahoo.com - Receiving' reported error (ox80042110):
> 'Your POP3 server is providing inconsistent information. The number
> of messages returned by the STAT command does not match the number of
> items returned by the UIDL or LIST commands. Contact your POP3 or
> Internet service provider.'

That's a server-side problem. There's no way for you to address it from the
Outlook side.
--
Brian Tillman