From: John John - MVP on
Le wrote:
> Thx John John. I had already deleted the disk and reformatted it then
> restored from a backup. If this didn't accomplish all of what you indicated
> please elucidate and I may be able to try it.
>
> Gen & John John:
> A couple of observations - the drive is configured as Dynamic. Don't
> remember doing anything special to create it this way. It's a single
> partition on a Hitachi DeskStar. The reason I point out the latter is that
> it showed up in the USB devices as an unknown for a brief while. Curious.

On Dynamic Disks the partition information is held in the LDM database.
If you don't need dynamic disks revert the disk to a Basic Disk. In
the Disk Management console right click on the disk (the big button at
the very left) and select the option to revert the disk to a basic disk,
all information on the disk will be lost.

John
From: Bill Blanton on
On 3/8/2010 13:38, John John - MVP wrote:

> The drive letters have really nothing to do with the hardware aspect of
> the controller and disk and all to do with the disk and partition
> signatures and the Mount Manager's database at
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. You can delete remove all the
> controllers and disks in the Device Manager or move the disks about from
> one controller to another but the Mount Manager will keep it's drive
> letter assignments as long as the disk signatures and partitions remain
> the same. Formatting your drive did not touch the disk signature, it
> should have removed the assigned letters but it seems that there is a
> glitch with the letters assigned to the disk and rewriting the disk
> signature or zeroing out the first sector (MBR) should take care of
> this. A wholesale purge of the Mount Manager's database will also do the
> trick but that is usually a "when all else fails" solution...

That's the problem. He did purge hklm\system\mounteddevices. When he
tried to change a drive letter afterward, to what it was originally, he
ended up with two letters for the one volume. Also, one volume was
apparently enumerated twice on its own. See below.

From: Bill Blanton on
I just thought of this. You did reboot after deleting the key, correct?

From: John John - MVP on
Bill Blanton wrote:
> On 3/8/2010 13:38, John John - MVP wrote:
>
>> The drive letters have really nothing to do with the hardware aspect of
>> the controller and disk and all to do with the disk and partition
>> signatures and the Mount Manager's database at
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. You can delete remove all the
>> controllers and disks in the Device Manager or move the disks about from
>> one controller to another but the Mount Manager will keep it's drive
>> letter assignments as long as the disk signatures and partitions remain
>> the same. Formatting your drive did not touch the disk signature, it
>> should have removed the assigned letters but it seems that there is a
>> glitch with the letters assigned to the disk and rewriting the disk
>> signature or zeroing out the first sector (MBR) should take care of
>> this. A wholesale purge of the Mount Manager's database will also do the
>> trick but that is usually a "when all else fails" solution...
>
> That's the problem. He did purge hklm\system\mounteddevices. When he
> tried to change a drive letter afterward, to what it was originally, he
> ended up with two letters for the one volume. Also, one volume was
> apparently enumerated twice on its own. See below.

He later says that he has a dynamic disk and that the dynamic disk was
created without his knowledge. He should reinitialize the disk.

From: Le on
Yep.