From: Le on
I have a drive which has been Z: for eons and has recently had G: assigned as
well. I reformatted the drive, added as Z: again and still G: is defined.

I'm getting corruption on indices (even though indexing is turned off for
the drive as Z:). Ping ponging between chkdsk /f for the two IDs settles
down to no errors but then a reboot and it's back...

XP Pro, SP3, what else would help the experts?
From: neil on
Did you remove G and Z and then reset as Z again.?
Neil

From: Le on
G: has never shown up in the Disk Manager but does show up in "fsutil fsinfo
drives". So, no, I found no way to "remove" the drive. I did delete the
device z: in the Disk Manger prior to reformatting.

Tried dismounting G: via fsutil but no joy.

From: Bill Blanton on
There's probably minor corruption in this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Assuming you have somewhat of a basic setup, make a restore point and
delete that key and reboot. Windows will re-enumerate all drive letters.

Note that if you have moved "system objects" such as the paging file or
My Documents, or if you have changed the default letter for volumes
(including adding or subtracting drives), you may have to redo all or
some of that.

Depending on your setup, there may be some risk.. Hence the restore
point. ;)

From: Le on
Thx Bill - did that and G: & Z: are still present based on "fsutil fsinfo
drives". My Y: drive went away and is presented as just H:. I used Disk
Manager to change the ID of the H: partition to Y: and I now have H: & Y: for
it.