From: Le on
Sure did.

From: Le on
To All - thx profusely. You've pointed me at areas of ignorance of Windows
that I need to fill in before I move forward on this. I think I want to
retain the problem disk as dynamic as it is my data repository while the
other partitions are OS, Programs, and Temp/work files.

I need to get an understanding of the LDM and features surrounding its
management and also concepts of disk signatures etc. So, it will probably
be a week or more before I check in with results / further queries.

If any of you have URLs for particularly concise coverage of the issues of
the LDM, Windows disk signatures, etc. I'm open.

Thx again.

From: John John - MVP on
Le wrote:
> To All - thx profusely. You've pointed me at areas of ignorance of Windows
> that I need to fill in before I move forward on this. I think I want to
> retain the problem disk as dynamic as it is my data repository while the
> other partitions are OS, Programs, and Temp/work files.
>
> I need to get an understanding of the LDM and features surrounding its
> management and also concepts of disk signatures etc. So, it will probably
> be a week or more before I check in with results / further queries.
>
> If any of you have URLs for particularly concise coverage of the issues of
> the LDM, Windows disk signatures, etc. I'm open.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329707
Best practices for using dynamic disks on Windows 2000-based computers

John
From: glee on
Basic Storage Versus Dynamic Storage in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314343

How To Convert to Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP Professional
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309044

Converting Basic Disks to Dynamic Disks
http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_10.htm

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+