From: Justbob30 on
I hade a e-520 with a 305w power supply, I want to replace the aging ati1350
pro video card with an nvidia 240...I have been told I need a 300 w power
supply, which I do and that I need a 12 volt rail which I have no idea what
that is...does anyone...I can't find it on the Dell website, I find the
marking 12va & 12vb can't exceed 264 w/18a (or similar) is that it?

From: RnR on
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:23:16 -0800, "Justbob30" <NoThank(a)you.com>
wrote:

>I hade a e-520 with a 305w power supply, I want to replace the aging ati1350
>pro video card with an nvidia 240...I have been told I need a 300 w power
>supply, which I do and that I need a 12 volt rail which I have no idea what
>that is...does anyone...I can't find it on the Dell website, I find the
>marking 12va & 12vb can't exceed 264 w/18a (or similar) is that it?

Bob, let me begin with "I don't know". That said, rarely do I find
people on the net that say they really needed to swap out their dell
power supply because it didn't crank out enough power. I've read that
the dell supplies are often under rated.

I know this doesn't really answer your question but I guess I'd find
out what is the add'l load from the card you want to use and then see
if you can measure the "normal" load your machine pulls and compare to
the 300watts. I think there is software to do this, if my memory is
correct. As to the 12v rail, I have no clue since I never read about
this. I assume (??) that you already Googled for this info and found
little hence you came here. Hope someone can be of better help than
myself here :(
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

Your Dell power supply should handle the load without issue. Dell does
underrate most of their power supplies (the only exceptions being
recent desktop systems with cheap Bestec supplies).

Every computer power supply has "rails" or as they're more correctly
known, "voltage rails". A voltage rail is the name for the circuitry
that generates a given voltage in a power supply. Computer power
supplies will have several voltage rails, usually at least one for
each voltage they produce.

Some power supplies have multiple voltage rails outputting the same
voltage. This is sometimes done so that an item which draws a lot of
power won't be competing with other devices for that power. The video
card you are considering is saying that it would be ideal to have a
power supply with a separate voltage rail to meet the card's needs.

There are two theories that I know of concerning power supply design.
One theory goes that you should use multiple rails producing the same
voltage to relieve stress on the circuitry--one voltage rail doesn't
have to bear the load of every device in the system using that voltage
to operate. The other theory (used by PC Power and Cooling) goes that
one BIG rail (one for each voltage and particularly +12V) is better
because it is simpler (fewer but hopefully heavier parts) and you
don't end up having extra capacity "trappped" on a voltage rail where
you can't use it.

What your video card documentation implies is that your video card
will also have a connection on the card itself for power. It will get
some power from the motherboard, but more power must be supplied for
correct operation, and this comes from a cord that you will plug into
an open connector coming from the power supply and the video card.

William
From: Justbob30 on
Thanks, that made far more sense than what I found by googling.