From: Justin on
I believe it is a "teac" card reader. It cannot read SDHC cards - but
before the rebuild it was able to do exactly this.
The machine has a license for Windows XP Media Center edition 2005. I
tried the following hitfix:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428

It said I already have the latest service pack and refuses to install.
Other cards work fine < 4GB.

Other than switching to Mac how do I solve this slight problem? The
client has a bunch of videos from a JVC everio camcorder that need to be
transferred and burned to DVD.

If I have to get a new card reader - how can I get one that has a cable
that will fit the proprietary Dell header on the main board?
From: Christopher Muto on
Justin wrote:
> I believe it is a "teac" card reader. It cannot read SDHC cards - but
> before the rebuild it was able to do exactly this.
> The machine has a license for Windows XP Media Center edition 2005. I
> tried the following hitfix:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428
>
> It said I already have the latest service pack and refuses to install.
> Other cards work fine < 4GB.
>
> Other than switching to Mac how do I solve this slight problem? The
> client has a bunch of videos from a JVC everio camcorder that need to be
> transferred and burned to DVD.
>
> If I have to get a new card reader - how can I get one that has a cable
> that will fit the proprietary Dell header on the main board?

are you saying that you reloaded windows mce on your dimension 5100 and
are unable to read sdhc cards that are larger than 4gb. my first
question is if you installed the chip set drivers directly after
completing the windows installation. then along with all the other
drivers (video, nice, audio, modem, etc) did you install the media card
driver. and did you then update windows repeatedly until there were no
more windows updates available? that hotfix you mentioned clearly
states that it requires a system with sp2 before it is applied. also,
some older sd card readers are not capable of reading sdhc cards. not
sure if the 5100 falls into that camp but the point here is that you may
want to review your recollection of the large sdhc card previously
working with this system, it may have been a different card that worked,
one that might not have been a sdhc type card.

From: Justin on
On 12/29/2009 9:49 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>> I believe it is a "teac" card reader. It cannot read SDHC cards - but
>> before the rebuild it was able to do exactly this.
>> The machine has a license for Windows XP Media Center edition 2005. I
>> tried the following hitfix:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428
>>
>> It said I already have the latest service pack and refuses to install.
>> Other cards work fine < 4GB.
>>
>> Other than switching to Mac how do I solve this slight problem? The
>> client has a bunch of videos from a JVC everio camcorder that need to
>> be transferred and burned to DVD.
>>
>> If I have to get a new card reader - how can I get one that has a
>> cable that will fit the proprietary Dell header on the main board?
>
> are you saying that you reloaded windows mce on your dimension 5100 and
> are unable to read sdhc cards that are larger than 4gb. my first
> question is if you installed the chip set drivers directly after
> completing the windows installation. then along with all the other
> drivers (video, nice, audio, modem, etc) did you install the media card
> driver. and did you then update windows repeatedly until there were no
> more windows updates available? that hotfix you mentioned clearly states
> that it requires a system with sp2 before it is applied. also, some
> older sd card readers are not capable of reading sdhc cards. not sure if
> the 5100 falls into that camp but the point here is that you may want to
> review your recollection of the large sdhc card previously working with
> this system, it may have been a different card that worked, one that
> might not have been a sdhc type card.

Yes, MCE was reloaded onto the machine.
After that point I am unable to read card greater than 4GB whereas
previously I was.

Yes, I ran windows update until all the drivers were installed. SP3 is
confirmed to be installed.

From: WSZsr on
Did you install the chipset software? It is not available from Windows
update.

From: Ben Myers on
Justin wrote:
> I believe it is a "teac" card reader. It cannot read SDHC cards - but
> before the rebuild it was able to do exactly this.
> The machine has a license for Windows XP Media Center edition 2005. I
> tried the following hitfix:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428
>
> It said I already have the latest service pack and refuses to install.
> Other cards work fine < 4GB.
>
> Other than switching to Mac how do I solve this slight problem? The
> client has a bunch of videos from a JVC everio camcorder that need to be
> transferred and burned to DVD.
>
> If I have to get a new card reader - how can I get one that has a cable
> that will fit the proprietary Dell header on the main board?

I have run into similar limits with various readers. My suggestion is
to get one of the cheap little external USB devices that hold an SD
card. I got one with a SanDisk 8GB SD on eBay, and it works fine for
offloading stuff from my camera... Ben Myers
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Premier.Dell
Next: 12 volt rail?