From: Father Justin on
On 12/30/09 11:46 AM, William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Yes, I ran windows update until all the drivers were installed.
>> SP3 is confirmed to be installed.
>
> SP3 doesn't include every hotfix that Microsoft released prior to the
> service pack itself.
>
> You can install older hotfixes by changing the registry key that
> reports the Windows service pack version. This approach should be used
> with caution, as you can cause problems by using it.
>
> If my memory is correct, look in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows with the
> registry editor and change the value of the CSDVersion key from
> "300" (indicates SP3) to "200" (indicates SP2).
>
> Then you can install your hotfix and see if it helps. It's quicker
> than uninstalling SP3...
>
> William

Interesting.
So installing SP3 could actually prevent the installation of the hotfix
that would potentially solve the problem.
I had to give the machine back to the client... I will probably ask the
client o uninstall SP3 and then install the hotfix - it would be easier
for him to do that than trudge through the registry editor.
Since Chris bit my head off for bnot being nice, I would like to thank
you, your family and bless you in the name of Father, son and holy
binary spirit. May the yEnc Lord be with you.
So say we all.

--
http://www.vatican.va
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> So installing SP3 could actually prevent the installation of the
> hotfix that would potentially solve the problem.

Yep. And Microsoft may or may not issue an updated hotfix for any
issue not corrected in SP3.

I'd been there with the UAA/HD audio stuff, which came in the form of
a hotfix for XP SP2 only. This creates an "interesting" situation, and
that is where I learned of the trick to make Windows temporarily
report the "wrong" version number to let hotfixes install. (There are
people who claim the UAA audio bus stuff comes with SP3, but I don't
think it does.)

Microsoft has since released a hotfix for UAA on SP3.

> May the yEnc Lord be with you.

That's a new one on me! :-)

I hope it works out one way or another. Since the computer obviously
could read those cards at one time, it should be able to read them
again. Anyway, have a happy new year. I would like to know if you get
it fixed, so post back here with the results.

William
From: WSZsr on

"Father Justin" <justin(a)nobecauseihatespam.va> wrote in message
> [...]

You're really a piece of work....... We don't need your kind of trash here.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Premier.Dell
Next: 12 volt rail?