From: Ben Myers on
Justin wrote:
> On 12/29/2009 9:49 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
>> Justin wrote:
>>> I believe it is a "teac" card reader. It cannot read SDHC cards - but
>>> before the rebuild it was able to do exactly this.
>>> The machine has a license for Windows XP Media Center edition 2005. I
>>> tried the following hitfix:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428
>>>
>>> It said I already have the latest service pack and refuses to install.
>>> Other cards work fine < 4GB.
>>>
>>> Other than switching to Mac how do I solve this slight problem? The
>>> client has a bunch of videos from a JVC everio camcorder that need to
>>> be transferred and burned to DVD.
>>>
>>> If I have to get a new card reader - how can I get one that has a
>>> cable that will fit the proprietary Dell header on the main board?
>>
>> are you saying that you reloaded windows mce on your dimension 5100 and
>> are unable to read sdhc cards that are larger than 4gb. my first
>> question is if you installed the chip set drivers directly after
>> completing the windows installation. then along with all the other
>> drivers (video, nice, audio, modem, etc) did you install the media card
>> driver. and did you then update windows repeatedly until there were no
>> more windows updates available? that hotfix you mentioned clearly states
>> that it requires a system with sp2 before it is applied. also, some
>> older sd card readers are not capable of reading sdhc cards. not sure if
>> the 5100 falls into that camp but the point here is that you may want to
>> review your recollection of the large sdhc card previously working with
>> this system, it may have been a different card that worked, one that
>> might not have been a sdhc type card.
>>

> Yes, MCE was reloaded onto the machine.
> After that point I am unable to read card greater than 4GB whereas
> previously I was.
>
> Yes, I ran windows update until all the drivers were installed. SP3 is
> confirmed to be installed.

Did you install the motherboard chipset driver FIRST after re-installing
MCE, then the driver for the reader??? The order of installation of
drivers is critical to get a fully functioning system... Ben Myers
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Yes, I ran windows update until all the drivers were installed.
> SP3 is confirmed to be installed.

SP3 doesn't include every hotfix that Microsoft released prior to the
service pack itself.

You can install older hotfixes by changing the registry key that
reports the Windows service pack version. This approach should be used
with caution, as you can cause problems by using it.

If my memory is correct, look in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows with the
registry editor and change the value of the CSDVersion key from
"300" (indicates SP3) to "200" (indicates SP2).

Then you can install your hotfix and see if it helps. It's quicker
than uninstalling SP3...

William
From: Father Justin on
On 12/30/09 7:49 AM, WSZsr wrote:
> Did you install the chipset software? It is not available from Windows
> update.
>
> "Justin" <justin(a)nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote in message
>>> are unable to read sdhc cards that are larger than 4gb. my first
>>> question is if you installed the chip set drivers directly after
>>> completing the windows installation. then along with all the other
>>> drivers (video, nice, audio, modem, etc) did you install the media card
>>> driver. and did you then update windows repeatedly until there were no
>>> more windows updates available? that hotfix you mentioned clearly states
>>> that it requires a system with sp2 before it is applied. also, some
>>> older sd card readers are not capable of reading sdhc cards. not sure if
>>> the 5100 falls into that camp but the point here is that you may want to
>>> review your recollection of the large sdhc card previously working with
>>> this system, it may have been a different card that worked, one that
>>> might not have been a sdhc type card.
>>>

>> Yes, MCE was reloaded onto the machine.
>> After that point I am unable to read card greater than 4GB whereas
>> previously I was.
>>
>> Yes, I ran windows update until all the drivers were installed. SP3 is
>> confirmed to be installed.

Yes - that was one of the first things I installed.

--
http://www.vatican.va
From: Paul-J on

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> skrev i en meddelelse

> Did you install the motherboard chipset driver FIRST after re-installing MCE, then the
> driver for the reader??? The order of installation of drivers is critical to get a
> fully functioning system... Ben Myers

May I jump in here?
I am using a similar Dimension.
For a couple of month ago, I had to do a clean install with XP, sp3, and all my
favourite apps.
It was working from start, -so I forgot everything about drivers. besides Nvidia of
course.
Well - there is a minor problem:
From time to time, the flashcard reader is dead: but I can fix that by restarting XP.

My question is: should I reinstall all drivers on top of this system in the right order,
or do I have to do a clean-install again???

From: Christopher Muto on
Father Justin wrote:
> On 12/30/09 7:49 AM, WSZsr wrote:
>> Did you install the chipset software? It is not available from Windows
>> update.
>>
>> "Justin" <justin(a)nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> Yes, MCE was reloaded onto the machine.
>>> After that point I am unable to read card greater than 4GB whereas
>>> previously I was.
>>>
>>> Yes, I ran windows update until all the drivers were installed. SP3 is
>>> confirmed to be installed.
>>>

> Yes - that was one of the first things I installed.

"one of the first things" was not the question as i stated and that
others also stated since it was ignored in your replies. the question
is if the chipset driver was the first thing that you installed after
windows completed installing. you also ignored several of my other
points. you probably should re-read what i originally wrote. and you
might want to at least pretend to be appreciative to both people that
might potentially give you some guidance or to those that have. i can't
imagine why anyone would bother helping you again.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Premier.Dell
Next: 12 volt rail?