From: MagerValp on

RW> Yes. The 1571 and I think the 1541-II both have an index hole
RW> sensor.

B> The 1541-??!a does not have an index hole sensor.

The 1541C does, IIRC.

--
___ . . . . . + . . o
_|___|_ + . + . + . Per Olofsson, arkadspelare
From: Martijn van Buul on
It occurred to me that MagerValp wrote in comp.sys.cbm:
>B> The 1541-??!a does not have an index hole sensor.
>
> The 1541C does, IIRC.

Aren't you confuzzled with the Track-zero sensor (intended to prevent
headbanging)?

--
Martijn van Buul - pino(a)dohd.org
From: MagerValp on

B> The 1541-II does not have an index hole sensor.

MV> The 1541C does, IIRC.

MvB> Aren't you confuzzled with the Track-zero sensor (intended to prevent
MvB> headbanging)?

You're quite right.

I wonder what the hell made my newsreader set the Content-Type to
"text/plain; charset=utf-16be" though...

From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hello Raj,

RajW schrieb:

>> But doesn't the 1571 have an index hole sensor for MFM/CP/M
>> comaptibility?
>
> Yes. The 1571 and I think the 1541-II both have an index hole sensor.

As Marc said, this is not true for the 1541-II. The 1541-II
even does not have got a track-0 light barrier sensor, at
least not the electronic components for amplifying the signal
and routing it to the VIA input pin.

May some models of the mechanical part of the 1541-II, I'm
talking of the direct driven motors especially, there may
be a premounted light emitter integrated into the motor
board. But I never saw the accompaying part detecting the
inde pulses.
There are clearly some mounting elements for adding such an
index hole sensor, but the 1541-II mainboards has got
absolutely no electronic elements for recognizing such a
signal.

And then the 1571 disk drive: From the factory the index
hole detector is _only_ connected to the MFM controller
WD177x. So for giving support for it you will have to
program the MFM controller and you have to live with the
latency given due to soem waitstates on the WD177x registers
noted somewhere on the WD177x datasheet.

> Does any copy software actually use the sensor or does the hardware do
> all the work? Also does the 1541 ROM know how to use the index sensor?

The 1541-ROM does not contain any code to detect anything
on an index hole detector. The ROM does not contain any
code to detect anything on track-0 detectors as the ROM or
the 1541C drive (with the 1541B mainboard).
Not any model of the 1541 does contain any hardware circuits
to give any support for index hole detectors.

First mentioning of index hole support was with an addon
kit for Maverick as well as with Supercard-Plus.

To me the only know software to support index hole detectors
added like with the Supercard-Plus addon kit was the
software for Supercard-Plus.

Womo
From: Pete Rittwage on
Wolfgang Moser wrote:

> And then the 1571 disk drive: From the factory the index
> hole detector is _only_ connected to the MFM controller
> WD177x. So for giving support for it you will have to
> program the MFM controller and you have to live with the
> latency given due to soem waitstates on the WD177x registers
> noted somewhere on the WD177x datasheet.

It is also worth noting to those that don't know that the sensor will
not pick up the index hole on the second side of a disk. Since it has
to be physically flipped, the hole is in the wrong place.

Now on a 1571, if we were to relocate the IHS to a VIA port, we could
also read the second side of the disk without flipping it, and reverse
the bits. Hmmm...

Can the 1571 IHS be easily relocated? I'd be happy to add this
capability to MNIB to 1571 users.

--
-
Pete Rittwage