From: RajW on

Crazy question... what use would there be by adding an index hole
sensor to a 1541? Would I gain some extra functionality?

/*Raj*/
From: Jerry Kurtz on

RajW wrote:
> Crazy question... what use would there be by adding an index hole
> sensor to a 1541? Would I gain some extra functionality?
>
> /*Raj*/

Index holes are used to align the tracks. Copy protections such as
RapidLok depend on perfect track alignment, and since the 1541 has the
physical limitation of not having an index hole sensor, its next to
impossible for a stock 1541 to write all the tracks out perfectly
aligned.

From: larry on

Jerry Kurtz wrote:
> RajW wrote:
> > Crazy question... what use would there be by adding an index hole
> > sensor to a 1541? Would I gain some extra functionality?
> >
> > /*Raj*/
>
> Index holes are used to align the tracks. Copy protections such as
> RapidLok depend on perfect track alignment, and since the 1541 has the
> physical limitation of not having an index hole sensor, its next to
> impossible for a stock 1541 to write all the tracks out perfectly
> aligned.

But doesn't the 1571 have an index hole sensor for MFM/CP/M
comaptibility?

Larry

From: RajW on
On 15 Oct 2006 16:57:36 -0700, larry(a)portcommodore.com wrote:

>But doesn't the 1571 have an index hole sensor for MFM/CP/M
>comaptibility?

Yes. The 1571 and I think the 1541-II both have an index hole sensor.

Does any copy software actually use the sensor or does the hardware do
all the work? Also does the 1541 ROM know how to use the index sensor?
/*Raj*/
From: BlackJack on
On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 20:26:52 -0400, RajW wrote:

> Yes. The 1571 and I think the 1541-II both have an index hole sensor.

The 1541-? does not have an index hole sensor.

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch