From: Stephen P. Hill on
Wolfgang Moser wrote:
> As Marc said, this is not true for the 1541-II. The 1541-II
> even does not have got a track-0 light barrier sensor, at
> least not the electronic components for amplifying the signal
> and routing it to the VIA input pin.
> The 1541-ROM does not contain any code to detect anything
> on an index hole detector. The ROM does not contain any
> code to detect anything on track-0 detectors as the ROM or
> the 1541C drive (with the 1541B mainboard).
> Not any model of the 1541 does contain any hardware circuits
> to give any support for index hole detectors.
>

> First mentioning of index hole support was with an addon
> kit for Maverick as well as with Supercard-Plus.
>
> To me the only know software to support index hole detectors
> added like with the Supercard-Plus addon kit was the
> software for Supercard-Plus.
>

> Womo

I had been wondering the purpose of this kit on E-bay, maybe
it was for Maverick...

> NEW - Commodore 64/128 1541 Index Hole Sensor Kit
>
> New - Commodore 1541 Index Hole Sensor Kit.
>
> Everything you need to add an Index Hole Sensor to your Commodore 1541 disk drive. Commodore included sensors in the 1541-II, 1570 & 1571 drives but left it out of the original 1541. This pre assembled kit is simple to install and requires only a minimal amount of soldering.
>
> Item is brand new still shrinkwrapped. A minor amount of soldering is required. Glue is required after testing to set the IR Detector in place.

PS - they have 2 available for about $14 each. It doesn't sound like
there is any point for day-to-day use, though.

From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hi Stephen,

you wrote:

>> First mentioning of index hole support was with an addon
>> kit for Maverick as well as with Supercard-Plus.
>>
>> To me the only know software to support index hole detectors
>> added like with the Supercard-Plus addon kit was the
>> software for Supercard-Plus.
>>

>> Womo
>

> I had been wondering the purpose of this kit on E-bay, maybe
> it was for Maverick...

yeah, CLD also made index hole kits sometime
as I got told of somewhere. But it is not
known to me if Maverick and if yes, which
version of it does support that addon.

> [recent eBay auctions]
>> NEW - Commodore 64/128 1541 Index Hole Sensor Kit
>>
>> New - Commodore 1541 Index Hole Sensor Kit.
>
> PS - they have 2 available for about $14 each. It doesn't sound like
> there is any point for day-to-day use, though.

There does not come any software with these
items, so I believe this is for people only
who really, really know what they're doing
and what they're needing.
And you can only know what you need, if you
happen to get in contact to some software
that tells you that an IHS is needed for
some task.

Womo
From: Pete Rittwage on
Wolfgang Moser wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> you wrote:
>>>
>>> First mentioning of index hole support was with an addon
>>> kit for Maverick as well as with Supercard-Plus.
>>>
>>> To me the only know software to support index hole detectors
>>> added like with the Supercard-Plus addon kit was the
>>> software for Supercard-Plus.
>>>

>>> Womo
>>

>> I had been wondering the purpose of this kit on E-bay, maybe
>> it was for Maverick...
>
> yeah, CLD also made index hole kits sometime
> as I got told of somewhere. But it is not
> known to me if Maverick and if yes, which
> version of it does support that addon.
>

>> [recent eBay auctions]
>>> NEW - Commodore 64/128 1541 Index Hole Sensor Kit
>>>
>>> New - Commodore 1541 Index Hole Sensor Kit.
>>
>> PS - they have 2 available for about $14 each. It doesn't sound like
>> there is any point for day-to-day use, though.
>
> There does not come any software with these
> items, so I believe this is for people only
> who really, really know what they're doing
> and what they're needing.
> And you can only know what you need, if you
> happen to get in contact to some software
> that tells you that an IHS is needed for
> some task.

I have only seen index-hole copying on the SuperCard+ software.
Maverick doesn't mention it anywhere, nor does Burstnibbler support it.
It was planned but never released, I suppose.

It would be trivial to add to MNIB, for what it's worth.

--
-
Pete Rittwage

C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com
From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hi,

Pete Rittwage schrieb:
>>> [recent eBay auctions]

>>> PS - they have 2 available for about $14 each. It doesn't sound like
>>> there is any point for day-to-day use, though.
>>
>> There does not come any software with these
>> items, so I believe this is for people only
>> who really, really know what they're doing
>> and what they're needing.
>> And you can only know what you need, if you
>> happen to get in contact to some software
>> that tells you that an IHS is needed for
>> some task.
>
> I have only seen index-hole copying on the SuperCard+ software. Maverick
> doesn't mention it anywhere, nor does Burstnibbler support it. It was
> planned but never released, I suppose.

the only hint to this I personally could find
was the manual for BN 1.9 (see project 64).

Until now I only got aware of one item mentioning
that BN would support the existing IHS of a 1571
disk drive. It is/was the manual of BN 1.9
announcing some future BN version. Unfortunately
I cannot find a reference to that manual.

> It would be trivial to add to MNIB, for what it's worth.

Please decide carefully, if IHS nibbling really
does make sense in a technical point of view.
There is no need to _only_ make someone else'
business, if IHS nibbling fails (after testing)
to deliver advanced results beside conventional
nibbling.

Womo
From: Pete Rittwage on
Wolfgang Moser wrote:
>> It would be trivial to add to MNIB, for what it's worth.
>
> Please decide carefully, if IHS nibbling really
> does make sense in a technical point of view.
> There is no need to _only_ make someone else'
> business, if IHS nibbling fails (after testing)
> to deliver advanced results beside conventional
> nibbling.

It's only useful in a few specific cases, to be sure. Mostly in the
remastering of disks, which is of little interest for emulation
purposes. Copying disks is still possible using the old software and
wasn't really a goal of the project. Your software solution for
detecting the skew works fine for 90% of cases where we have a true
sector 0.

--
-
Pete Rittwage