From: Richard Quadling on
On 12 September 2010 17:32, tedd <tedd(a)sperling.com> wrote:
> Hi gang:
>
> I have a client who wants his employees' access to their online business
> database restricted to only times when he is logged on. (Don't ask why)
>
> In other words, when the boss is not logged on, then his employees cannot
> access the business database in any fashion whatsoever including checking to
> see if the boss is logged on, or not. No access whatsoever!
>
> Normally, I would just set up a field in the database and have that set to
> "yes" or "no" as to if the employees could access the database, or not. But
> in this case, the boss does not want even that type of access to the
> database permitted. Repeat -- No access whatsoever!
>
> I was thinking of the boss' script writing to a file that accomplished the
> "yes" or "no" thing, but if the boss did not log off properly then the file
> would remain in the "yes" state allowing employees undesired access. That
> would not be acceptable.
>
> So, what methods would you suggest?
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd

What operating system is he using?

Does he (for example), log into his computer and logoff/shutdown when
he goes home?

If he is using Windows (and I'm sure there are many ways to achieve
this), then in the Startup folder, a small PHP script which sets a
flag "I'm here", would allow the DB to know he's at least logged in.

There are different ways to do this.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/XP/Q_21195727.html
covers login/logout/startup/shutdown.

Do they have a clock card system for clocking in/out the building?
Could you read the database that the clockings are logged in? An odd
number for the day = he's in, even = he's out, missed clocking =
screwed/guess.

Ideally you want to "hook" into his normal activity if you can.

--
Richard Quadling
Twitter : EE : Zend
From: Steve Staples on
here's a silly idea...

put the database on his computer (or the entire app). that way, when
he's *there* he is logged in. if the computer is off, he's not there,
the app wont work (and the database).

Steve

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 09:10 -0400, Steve Staples wrote:

> here's a silly idea...
>
> put the database on his computer (or the entire app). that way, when
> he's *there* he is logged in. if the computer is off, he's not there,
> the app wont work (and the database).
>
> Steve
>

> On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 11:26 +0100, Richard Quadling wrote:
> > On 12 September 2010 17:32, tedd <tedd(a)sperling.com> wrote:
> > > Hi gang:
> > >
> > > I have a client who wants his employees' access to their online business
> > > database restricted to only times when he is logged on. (Don't ask why)
> > >
> > > In other words, when the boss is not logged on, then his employees cannot
> > > access the business database in any fashion whatsoever including checking to
> > > see if the boss is logged on, or not. No access whatsoever!
> > >
> > > Normally, I would just set up a field in the database and have that set to
> > > "yes" or "no" as to if the employees could access the database, or not. But
> > > in this case, the boss does not want even that type of access to the
> > > database permitted. Repeat -- No access whatsoever!
> > >
> > > I was thinking of the boss' script writing to a file that accomplished the
> > > "yes" or "no" thing, but if the boss did not log off properly then the file
> > > would remain in the "yes" state allowing employees undesired access. That
> > > would not be acceptable.
> > >
> > > So, what methods would you suggest?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > tedd
> >
> > What operating system is he using?
> >
> > Does he (for example), log into his computer and logoff/shutdown when
> > he goes home?
> >
> > If he is using Windows (and I'm sure there are many ways to achieve
> > this), then in the Startup folder, a small PHP script which sets a
> > flag "I'm here", would allow the DB to know he's at least logged in.
> >
> > There are different ways to do this.
> > http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/XP/Q_21195727.html
> > covers login/logout/startup/shutdown.
> >

> > Do they have a clock card system for clocking in/out the building?
> > Could you read the database that the clockings are logged in? An odd
> > number for the day = he's in, even = he's out, missed clocking =
> > screwed/guess.
> >
> > Ideally you want to "hook" into his normal activity if you can.
> >

> > --
> > Richard Quadling
> > Twitter : EE : Zend
> > @RQuadling : e-e.com/M_248814.html : bit.ly/9O8vFY

That's a genius idea!

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: tedd on
At 9:10 AM -0400 9/13/10, Steve Staples wrote:
>here's a silly idea...
>
>put the database on his computer (or the entire app). that way, when
>he's *there* he is logged in. if the computer is off, he's not there,
>the app wont work (and the database).
>
>Steve

Silly or not, that *would* work.

Now I have to figure out how to do that.

Thanks,

tedd

--
-------
http://sperling.com/
From: tedd on
At 11:55 PM -0400 9/12/10, Paul M Foster wrote:

>I hate to seem flippant, but here would be my conversation with this
>customer:
>
>Customer: "My employees got access to the database while I was gone
>yesterday!"
>
>Consultant: "Well, let's see. Oh, it appears you didn't properly log
>out."
>
>Customer: "Yes, but I was *gone*. They weren't supposed to be able to
>access the database unless I'm *here*."
>
>Consultant: "The only way we know that is if you log in and log out
>properly. Now, if you like, we can put a nanny-cam in your office, and
>whenever you're not there (like in the bathroom), the whole thing shuts
>down. That will cost $x. Your choice. We've been working on the
>mind-reading extension to PHP, but it's not finished yet."

Customer: Thanks for your opinion. We'll be in touch.

Customer to his secretary: Let's find someone who knows how to do this.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------