From: viraj on
got another idea.. setup the database on a machine which can detect
the availability of the boss. if the boss machine is on.. and
connected to network.. the script will try to verify the availability
of the bosses's ip and interface hardware address. (if the boss change
the nic or machine, mac has to be updated manually in the script) and
starts or stops the database.

this can be done with bit of shellexec and bit of shellscripting, if
on linux with 'arp' (all employees and boss has to be in same subnet i
guess.. )

~viraj

From: viraj on
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:25 PM, viraj <kalinga(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> got another idea.. setup the database on a machine which can detect
> the availability of the boss. if the boss machine is on.. and
> connected to network.. the script will try to verify the availability
> of the bosses's ip and interface hardware address. (if the boss change
> the nic or machine, mac has to be updated manually in the script) and
> starts or stops the database.
>
> this can be done with bit of shellexec and bit of shellscripting, if
> on linux with 'arp' (all employees and boss has to be in same subnet i
> guess.. )

and yeah, the script has to be run at some reasonable time interval using a cron

~viraj

From: Richard Quadling on
On 14 September 2010 08:05, Gary <php-general(a)garydjones.name> wrote:
> tedd wrote:
>> I have a client who wants his employees' access to their online business
>> database restricted to only times when he is logged on. (Don't ask why)
>
> Simply put a "dead man's handle" under his seat which turns on the power
> to the server when he sits on it.
>
> --
> Gary        Please do NOT send me 'courtesy' replies off-list.
> PHP 5.2.12 (cli) (built: Jan 14 2010 14:54:11)
> 1.7.7(0.230/5/3) 2010-08-31 09:58 Cygwin

Hmm.

I think there is a really easy, cost free, way to deal with this.

You get all the employees in a room, with the boss.

And then you tell them that when the boss isn't in, they don't have to
do any work.

I'm pretty sure the employees will be your new BFFs.

--
Richard Quadling
Twitter : EE : Zend
From: Kevin Kinsey on
Gary wrote:
> tedd wrote:
>> I have a client who wants his employees' access to their online business
>> database restricted to only times when he is logged on. (Don't ask why)
>
> Simply put a "dead man's handle" under his seat which turns on the power
> to the server when he sits on it.

I figured we'd get here sooner or later, esp. after I saw Daniel B. talking
about lawnmowers.

And now you can tell the client with a straight face ... "if you want any
work to get done today you'd best sit your @$$ down right here...."

Then, of course, for fun, you could encourage PHB to bounce up & down a
few times a day "to keep the employees on their toes." He'd dig it, I'm
sure, and you'd pick up a good parcel of extra work recovering DB's ...
and disks.

Richard Quadling:
> You get all the employees in a room, with the boss.
>
> And then you tell them that when the boss isn't in, they don't have to
> do any work.
>
> I'm pretty sure the employees will be your new BFFs.

+11.

We should ABSOLUTELY copy Scot Adams on this.

Wait a minute, maybe Tedd's client IS Scot Adams.

Kevin Kinsey
From: tedd on
At 8:05 PM -0400 9/13/10, Daniel Brown wrote:
>The boss stands up, his entire infrastructure collapses, everyone's
>connections are closed, and all PCs subsequently catch fire.

LOL

Sounds good to me.

After that happens a couple of times, maybe things will change. If
it's the private sector, they investigate and find a better solution.
If it's the public sector, they will probably require water based
fire extinguishers.

Cheers,

tedd

--