From: tedd on
Hi gang:

I have a client who wants his employees' access to their online
business database restricted to only times when he is logged on.
(Don't ask why)

In other words, when the boss is not logged on, then his employees
cannot access the business database in any fashion whatsoever
including checking to see if the boss is logged on, or not. No access
whatsoever!

Normally, I would just set up a field in the database and have that
set to "yes" or "no" as to if the employees could access the
database, or not. But in this case, the boss does not want even that
type of access to the database permitted. Repeat -- No access
whatsoever!

I was thinking of the boss' script writing to a file that
accomplished the "yes" or "no" thing, but if the boss did not log off
properly then the file would remain in the "yes" state allowing
employees undesired access. That would not be acceptable.

So, what methods would you suggest?

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------
http://sperling.com/
From: Joshua Kehn on
Tedd-

Would he consider access to another database? I.e. a separate, say memcached db which stores the "boss" status?

An issue with the temporary file would also be session length, if the session expires without the user explicitly logging off, the file wouldn't be removed. A way to bypass this would be to add some sort of session expiration header to the file and update that.

And couldn't you make a simple check if the boss is logged in or not by the ability to access the database?

Regards,

-Josh
____________________________________
Joshua Kehn | Josh.Kehn(a)gmail.com
http://joshuakehn.com

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 12:32 -0400, tedd wrote:

> Hi gang:
>
> I have a client who wants his employees' access to their online
> business database restricted to only times when he is logged on.
> (Don't ask why)
>
> In other words, when the boss is not logged on, then his employees
> cannot access the business database in any fashion whatsoever
> including checking to see if the boss is logged on, or not. No access
> whatsoever!
>
> Normally, I would just set up a field in the database and have that
> set to "yes" or "no" as to if the employees could access the
> database, or not. But in this case, the boss does not want even that
> type of access to the database permitted. Repeat -- No access
> whatsoever!
>
> I was thinking of the boss' script writing to a file that
> accomplished the "yes" or "no" thing, but if the boss did not log off
> properly then the file would remain in the "yes" state allowing
> employees undesired access. That would not be acceptable.
>
> So, what methods would you suggest?
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
>
> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com/

What about using the timestamp of that file as well? Then have the
boss's login update the file periodically, and the employees can only
access if the file exists and is of a certain age or newer. That should
solve the easiest problem, although you still are left with the issue of
the boss...

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Per Jessen on
tedd wrote:

> Hi gang:
>=20
> I have a client who wants his employees' access to their online
> business database restricted to only times when he is logged on.
> (Don't ask why)
>=20
> In other words, when the boss is not logged on, then his employees
> cannot access the business database in any fashion whatsoever
> including checking to see if the boss is logged on, or not. No access=

> whatsoever!
>=20
> Normally, I would just set up a field in the database and have that
> set to "yes" or "no" as to if the employees could access the
> database, or not. But in this case, the boss does not want even that
> type of access to the database permitted. Repeat -- No access
> whatsoever!
>=20
> I was thinking of the boss' script writing to a file that
> accomplished the "yes" or "no" thing, but if the boss did not log off=

> properly then the file would remain in the "yes" state allowing
> employees undesired access. That would not be acceptable.
>=20
> So, what methods would you suggest?

I would ask the boss to confirm his presence maybe once an hour and onl=
allow employees access when the last such confirmation is less than an
hour old.=20

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (21.4=C2=B0C)

From: Tamara Temple on
Sounds like there are some security concerns here.

On Sep 12, 2010, at 11:32 AM, tedd wrote:
> I have a client who wants his employees' access to their online
> business database restricted to only times when he is logged on.
> (Don't ask why)

I do wonder why, though. Perhaps this is an opportunity to educate
someone about security and privacy and web applications? Does he feel
that by being logged in, he can control every aspect of connection to
the data base? Or even be aware of every access to the data base? What
is he hoping to accomplish be being logged in? Does he propose to
actively monitor the data base transactions in real time while he's at
work? What is he hoping to avoid by requiring his logged in state
before anyone else can access the data base? Just being logged in
won't dissuade a cracker from attacking his data if they so choose,
nor will it prevent a disgruntled employee from damaging the data
while he's logged in if they have the expertise and means.

Also, what happens when he's sick or incapacitated some day and can't
log in to the data base. Does he expect his business to continue
without his presence or does it also shut down for the day?

This just seems like an excessive amount of paranoia that his solution
won't provide an answer for. It seems like a poor business decision on
his part.

> In other words, when the boss is not logged on, then his employees
> cannot access the business database in any fashion whatsoever
> including checking to see if the boss is logged on, or not. No
> access whatsoever!

What about access to the web application while he's not logged in? Do
they still have that? If someone is determined, they can still learn a
lot.

> Normally, I would just set up a field in the database and have that
> set to "yes" or "no" as to if the employees could access the
> database, or not. But in this case, the boss does not want even that
> type of access to the database permitted. Repeat -- No access
> whatsoever!
>
> I was thinking of the boss' script writing to a file that
> accomplished the "yes" or "no" thing, but if the boss did not log
> off properly then the file would remain in the "yes" state allowing
> employees undesired access. That would not be acceptable.
>
> So, what methods would you suggest?

What about access to a parallel data base that only contains
information pertaining to access? i.e. separate out the application's
authentication and access control from the main data base and put it
in a parallel data base.