From: viraj on

> Remind him that he must logout normally to lock the DB

if you follow the thread closely, this is a requirement. boss may not
logout properly :)

that's why all suggest a mechanical ways for the job. pressure
sensors, cameras etc etc

~viraj

From: TR Shaw on
If you mean "not logoff properly" as, for instance, getting up and leaving his office for the day without logging off you can run a script when the machine "sleeps" or the screen saver runs and runs again when the machine transitions back to run.

If your talking about powering off, same scripting approach as above (or just put DB on Boss' machine and if its off or crashes access ceases.

As a crazy approach, put the DB on a thumb drive and attach the thumb to the Boss' car or house keys. He plugs the thumb in when he wants to "grant" access and takes it when he leaves because he need his keys.

From: chris h on
So whenever the boss is in a meeting and his screen saver kicks on then the
business shuts down. Also I think we've established that thumbdrive +
database = disaster.

Maybe a thumbdrive that has file with some random hash. Then create a cron
that checks for the existence of that file each minute. When the boss
leaves the cron doesn't find the file and shuts down the DB, when the boss
comes in the cron will see it and starts it up.

But Tedd, I'm still thinking that a "dead man's switch" is the way to go.
:)

Chris.

From: tedd on
At 12:03 PM -0400 9/18/10, chris h wrote:

>But Tedd, I'm still thinking that a "dead man's switch" is the way to go.
> :)

Chris et al:

I think the method I'll recommend to the client is to have the entire
office tied to his computer. When it's on, everything is up and when
it's off, everything is down

That way if the client wants to leave (lunch, bathroom, whatever), he
can turn his computer off, or leave it on -- as he wants.

If he doesn't show up for work (vacation, sick, whatever), he can
tell a subordinate to turn his computer on, or not -- it's totally
his choice.

The beauty of this method is that it is very simple to understand.
There's nothing complicated about it.

As I tell my grand-kids "Half the people you meet everyday are below
average intelligence -- plan for it". There's nothing elitist about
my statement, but rather a statement of fact. I often over estimate
the understanding of clients and as I get older I see the error in my
ways.

Program for excellence, but design for stupidity.

Thanks to all.

Cheers,

tedd

--