From: Ken Ross on
If you were setting up a new SQL 2008 server that you knew would need
access to at least 8GB of RAM, and you didn't need any of features
exclusive to Enterprise edition, would you go with SQL 2008 64bit Standard
Edition or SQL 2008 32bit Enterprise Edition in order to gain access to the
full 8GB?

An odd question, but one my customers seem to ask a lot.

Thanks.
From: jgurgul on
Hi

If you do not need the features of enterprise, then why would you not
install 64bit standard (or 32bit with appropriate flags)?

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions-compare.aspx

Jon

From: Andrew J. Kelly on
I wouldn't use 32 bit period on any new server these days. x64 bit standard
will access all the memory the OS sees so it's a no brainer.

--

Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

From: Ken Ross on
"Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam(a)shadhawk.com> wrote in

> I wouldn't use 32 bit period on any new server these days. x64 bit
> standard will access all the memory the OS sees so it's a no brainer.

This has always been my take on things too [and 2K8 R2 makes the choice
even easier] but I've still run into the odd customer [no pun intended]
that I think feels some level of comfort with staying on 32bit and so takes
the Enterprise route to get the extra RAM.
From: Andrew J. Kelly on
So they would rather spend 10's of thousands of dollars more for the EE
license just to stay with 32 bit. Wow.