From: ChronicBoy on
Hi
I was wondering how do you have to connect the 6 pin PCI-e Y cable to
your
PSU. Do you have to just plug in 1 of the 4 pin molex connectors or do
you have
to plug-in both of them?

I'm going to buy 2 of this video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130416

and this would be my new power supply:
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1264&ID=1502

If someone could give me any suggestions on a power supply that has 4x
6 pin PCI-e conenctors
would be good.

Thank You In advanced
From: Paul on
ChronicBoy wrote:
> Hi
> I was wondering how do you have to connect the 6 pin PCI-e Y cable to
> your
> PSU. Do you have to just plug in 1 of the 4 pin molex connectors or do
> you have
> to plug-in both of them?
>
> I'm going to buy 2 of this video card:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130416
>
> and this would be my new power supply:
> http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1264&ID=1502
>
> If someone could give me any suggestions on a power supply that has 4x
> 6 pin PCI-e conenctors
> would be good.
>
> Thank You In advanced

A 9800 GTX, for comparison, is 108W of power per card. That comes
mostly from the 12V rail, so 108W/12V = roughly 9 amps per card.
The power distribution includes allowing 4 amps to flow through
the PCI Express slot connector. Since two cards draw 8 amps, it
means the main connection from power supply to motherboard should be
with a 24 pin connector, or the motherboard should have a Molex
1x4 on the motherboard for auxiliary power input.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce9800gtx_7.html#sect0

This PSU has four connectors. 2x6 and 2x(6+2). The 6+2 thing unhinges,
giving a 6 pin connector. If you had an 8800 kind of card, then you
leave it together to make an 8 pin. The 60 amps total current
on the 12V rail, is enough for a 12A processor and two 9A video
cards, with plenty to spare to run disk drives etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

If you were using adapters, I'd try running a single video card from
one Molex chain, like this. Since there is no place to plug in
the dangling 1x4 Molex on the second adapter, I'd leave it
disconnected. With this wiring pattern, 5 amps comes from the power
supply, and is split over the three wires provided by the two
adapters shown. I would not expect to find a Molex chain with
more connectors on it, but I suppose it happens.

5A -----X-----X-----X
| | |
| | +----Adapter----> Video card 2x3 plug #1
| +---------/

+---------Second_adapter----> Video card 2x3 plug #2
--/

The second video card would use its own private Molex chain.

5A -----X-----X-----X
| | |
| | +----Adapter----> Video card 2x3 plug #1
| +---------/

+---------Second_adapter----> Video card 2x3 plug #2
--/

A new power supply will eliminate this mess.

Paul
From: ChronicBoy on
I found a great/or just a solution
I don't know if this is a good decision
but it meets my requirements
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256017
From: Paul on
ChronicBoy wrote:
> I found a great/or just a solution
> I don't know if this is a good decision
> but it meets my requirements
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256017

It is 7" long, so check you have space for it.

http://www.techaddicts.net/reviews/da750/da750.html

Some comments here note a slight buzzing sound from the supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817256017

In terms of nameplate specs, it is about the same as the one I linked to.

Paul
From: John Holmes on
Paul "contributed" in alt.computer:

> It is 7" long