From: Robert Baer on
Need Win98SE driver for Geforce 8400 GS; any equivalent driver will
do; would like to get 600x800, 16 bit or 32 bit.
From: sandy58 on
On Dec 14, 11:47 pm, Robert Baer <robertb...(a)localnet.com> wrote:
>    Need Win98SE driver for Geforce 8400 GS; any equivalent driver will
> do; would like to get 600x800, 16 bit or 32 bit.

Drivers Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video free download
http://www.software.com/downloads/free-trial/NVIDIA-GeForce-8400-download1194887.html
beta forceware 35,736kb application. Normally with nVidia the
installation halts if the wrong drivers are being installed. This IS a
beta so the choice is yours, Robert.
From what I saw in my search, Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video was
compatible with 98', 2000, XP. (These were NOT beta files)
Good luck
From: Robert Baer on
sandy58 wrote:
> On Dec 14, 11:47 pm, Robert Baer <robertb...(a)localnet.com> wrote:
>
>> Need Win98SE driver for Geforce 8400 GS; any equivalent driver will
>>do; would like to get 600x800, 16 bit or 32 bit.
>

> Drivers Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video free download
> http://www.software.com/downloads/free-trial/NVIDIA-GeForce-8400-download1194887.html
> beta forceware 35,736kb application. Normally with nVidia the
> installation halts if the wrong drivers are being installed. This IS a
> beta so the choice is yours, Robert.
> From what I saw in my search, Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video was
> compatible with 98', 2000, XP. (These were NOT beta files)
> Good luck
I am on dial-up; 37Megs is way too much = = impossible.
Maybe i can find someone with high speed internet and put it on a
thumb drive.
Going to the Nvidia/GeForce site, the drivers they had did not
support Win98SE - the "best" was Win2K, and that is why i asked.
From: Paul on
Robert Baer wrote:
> sandy58 wrote:
>> On Dec 14, 11:47 pm, Robert Baer <robertb...(a)localnet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Need Win98SE driver for Geforce 8400 GS; any equivalent driver will
>>> do; would like to get 600x800, 16 bit or 32 bit.
>>

>> Drivers Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video free download
>> http://www.software.com/downloads/free-trial/NVIDIA-GeForce-8400-download1194887.html
>>
>> beta forceware 35,736kb application. Normally with nVidia the
>> installation halts if the wrong drivers are being installed. This IS a
>> beta so the choice is yours, Robert.
>> From what I saw in my search, Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video was
>> compatible with 98', 2000, XP. (These were NOT beta files)
>> Good luck
> I am on dial-up; 37Megs is way too much = = impossible.
> Maybe i can find someone with high speed internet and put it on a
> thumb drive.
> Going to the Nvidia/GeForce site, the drivers they had did not support
> Win98SE - the "best" was Win2K, and that is why i asked.

81.98 is probably the last Win98 driver. Supported Nvidia cards
are listed here.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/81.98_9x_supported.html

The driver page itself.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_81.98.html

In hardware these days, all you can really count on is
WinXP and Vista support, and even the WinXP support can
be half-hearted at times.

The solution is simple - pull the Nvidia 8400GS and install
an Nvidia 6xxx series card instead. The first one is only $20.
If your machine is AGP, there are fewer good choices
still in production. (There'll be a similar situation
with ATI, and some of the more desirable cards with
AGP interfaces, aren't going to have Win98 drivers.
They don't even have Win2K drivers, which is the OS
on my other machine.)

6600 PCI Express x16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187048

6200 AGP
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150269

I did install Win98 on my current machine (which I'm typing on
right now). I got the oldest IDE disk I own, a 4GB drive,
and installed Win98SE. It all installed, and I'm running
Win98 using one of the two cores on a Core2 processor. The Device
Manager is just as clean as it is in WinXP. My video card
is an ATI 9800Pro AGP, and there is a Win98 driver for that.
A nice mix of the old and the new... :-) And no, I don't
regularly use Win98, it was just a project to keep me busy.
The motherboard uses a VIA chipset. That old disk only seems
to manage about 20MB/sec in a benchmark.

Paul
From: Robert Baer on
Paul wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>
>> sandy58 wrote:

>>> Drivers Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video free download
>>> http://www.software.com/downloads/free-trial/NVIDIA-GeForce-8400-download1194887.html
>>>
>>> beta forceware 35,736kb application. Normally with nVidia the
>>> installation halts if the wrong drivers are being installed. This IS a
>>> beta so the choice is yours, Robert.
>>> From what I saw in my search, Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video was
>>> compatible with 98', 2000, XP. (These were NOT beta files)
>>> Good luck
>>
>> I am on dial-up; 37Megs is way too much = = impossible.
>> Maybe i can find someone with high speed internet and put it on a
>> thumb drive.
>> Going to the Nvidia/GeForce site, the drivers they had did not
>> support Win98SE - the "best" was Win2K, and that is why i asked.
>

> 81.98 is probably the last Win98 driver. Supported Nvidia cards
> are listed here.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/81.98_9x_supported.html
>
> The driver page itself.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_81.98.html
>
> In hardware these days, all you can really count on is
> WinXP and Vista support, and even the WinXP support can
> be half-hearted at times.
>
> The solution is simple - pull the Nvidia 8400GS and install
> an Nvidia 6xxx series card instead. The first one is only $20.
> If your machine is AGP, there are fewer good choices
> still in production. (There'll be a similar situation
> with ATI, and some of the more desirable cards with
> AGP interfaces, aren't going to have Win98 drivers.
> They don't even have Win2K drivers, which is the OS
> on my other machine.)
>
> 6600 PCI Express x16
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187048
>
> 6200 AGP
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150269
>
> I did install Win98 on my current machine (which I'm typing on
> right now). I got the oldest IDE disk I own, a 4GB drive,
> and installed Win98SE. It all installed, and I'm running
> Win98 using one of the two cores on a Core2 processor. The Device
> Manager is just as clean as it is in WinXP. My video card
> is an ATI 9800Pro AGP, and there is a Win98 driver for that.
> A nice mix of the old and the new... :-) And no, I don't
> regularly use Win98, it was just a project to keep me busy.
> The motherboard uses a VIA chipset. That old disk only seems
> to manage about 20MB/sec in a benchmark.
>
> Paul
Thanks; this greatly increases my options and future success.