From: Robert Baer on
Paul wrote:

> Robert Baer wrote:
>
>> sandy58 wrote:

>>> Drivers Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video free download
>>> http://www.software.com/downloads/free-trial/NVIDIA-GeForce-8400-download1194887.html
>>>
>>> beta forceware 35,736kb application. Normally with nVidia the
>>> installation halts if the wrong drivers are being installed. This IS a
>>> beta so the choice is yours, Robert.
>>> From what I saw in my search, Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video was
>>> compatible with 98', 2000, XP. (These were NOT beta files)
>>> Good luck
>>
>> I am on dial-up; 37Megs is way too much = = impossible.
>> Maybe i can find someone with high speed internet and put it on a
>> thumb drive.
>> Going to the Nvidia/GeForce site, the drivers they had did not
>> support Win98SE - the "best" was Win2K, and that is why i asked.
>

> 81.98 is probably the last Win98 driver. Supported Nvidia cards
> are listed here.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/81.98_9x_supported.html
>
> The driver page itself.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_81.98.html
>
> In hardware these days, all you can really count on is
> WinXP and Vista support, and even the WinXP support can
> be half-hearted at times.
>
> The solution is simple - pull the Nvidia 8400GS and install
> an Nvidia 6xxx series card instead. The first one is only $20.
> If your machine is AGP, there are fewer good choices
> still in production. (There'll be a similar situation
> with ATI, and some of the more desirable cards with
> AGP interfaces, aren't going to have Win98 drivers.
> They don't even have Win2K drivers, which is the OS
> on my other machine.)
>
> 6600 PCI Express x16
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187048
>
> 6200 AGP
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150269
>
> I did install Win98 on my current machine (which I'm typing on
> right now). I got the oldest IDE disk I own, a 4GB drive,
> and installed Win98SE. It all installed, and I'm running
> Win98 using one of the two cores on a Core2 processor. The Device
> Manager is just as clean as it is in WinXP. My video card
> is an ATI 9800Pro AGP, and there is a Win98 driver for that.
> A nice mix of the old and the new... :-) And no, I don't
> regularly use Win98, it was just a project to keep me busy.
> The motherboard uses a VIA chipset. That old disk only seems
> to manage about 20MB/sec in a benchmark.
>
> Paul
I will have to find someone with high speed internet, as 19Megs is
virtually impossible on dial-up.
Thanks again.
From: Robert Baer on
sandy58 wrote:
> On Dec 14, 11:47 pm, Robert Baer <robertb...(a)localnet.com> wrote:
>
>> Need Win98SE driver for Geforce 8400 GS; any equivalent driver will
>>do; would like to get 600x800, 16 bit or 32 bit.
>

> Drivers Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video free download
> http://www.software.com/downloads/free-trial/NVIDIA-GeForce-8400-download1194887.html
> beta forceware 35,736kb application. Normally with nVidia the
> installation halts if the wrong drivers are being installed. This IS a
> beta so the choice is yours, Robert.
> From what I saw in my search, Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video was
> compatible with 98', 2000, XP. (These were NOT beta files)
> Good luck
Thanks; my options are growing, which means one of two things: (1)
absolutely everything will refuse to work OR (2) the last one i try will
work.
I advise that you do not place bets in LostWages..
From: Robert Baer on
Paul wrote:

> Robert Baer wrote:
>
>> sandy58 wrote:

>>> Drivers Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video free download
>>> http://www.software.com/downloads/free-trial/NVIDIA-GeForce-8400-download1194887.html
>>>
>>> beta forceware 35,736kb application. Normally with nVidia the
>>> installation halts if the wrong drivers are being installed. This IS a
>>> beta so the choice is yours, Robert.
>>> From what I saw in my search, Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Video was
>>> compatible with 98', 2000, XP. (These were NOT beta files)
>>> Good luck
>>
>> I am on dial-up; 37Megs is way too much = = impossible.
>> Maybe i can find someone with high speed internet and put it on a
>> thumb drive.
>> Going to the Nvidia/GeForce site, the drivers they had did not
>> support Win98SE - the "best" was Win2K, and that is why i asked.
>

> 81.98 is probably the last Win98 driver. Supported Nvidia cards
> are listed here.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/81.98_9x_supported.html
>
> The driver page itself.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_81.98.html
>
> In hardware these days, all you can really count on is
> WinXP and Vista support, and even the WinXP support can
> be half-hearted at times.
>
> The solution is simple - pull the Nvidia 8400GS and install
> an Nvidia 6xxx series card instead. The first one is only $20.
> If your machine is AGP, there are fewer good choices
> still in production. (There'll be a similar situation
> with ATI, and some of the more desirable cards with
> AGP interfaces, aren't going to have Win98 drivers.
> They don't even have Win2K drivers, which is the OS
> on my other machine.)
>
> 6600 PCI Express x16
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187048
>
> 6200 AGP
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150269
>
> I did install Win98 on my current machine (which I'm typing on
> right now). I got the oldest IDE disk I own, a 4GB drive,
> and installed Win98SE. It all installed, and I'm running
> Win98 using one of the two cores on a Core2 processor. The Device
> Manager is just as clean as it is in WinXP. My video card
> is an ATI 9800Pro AGP, and there is a Win98 driver for that.
> A nice mix of the old and the new... :-) And no, I don't
> regularly use Win98, it was just a project to keep me busy.
> The motherboard uses a VIA chipset. That old disk only seems
> to manage about 20MB/sec in a benchmark.
>
> Paul
....and my board is not listed.
So, this resource is on the bottom of my list.