From: michael1353135 on
64bit beta version now includes

Pre-emptive multitasking, multithreading, ring-3 protection
Responsive GUI with resolutions up to 1280x1024, 16 million colours
IDE: Editor/Assembler for applications
TCP/IP stack with Loopback & Ethernet drivers
Network applications include ftp/http clients
Free-form application windows

www.menuetos.net

From: Frank Kotler on
michael1353135(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> 64bit beta version now includes
>
> Pre-emptive multitasking, multithreading, ring-3 protection
> Responsive GUI with resolutions up to 1280x1024, 16 million colours
> IDE: Editor/Assembler for applications
> TCP/IP stack with Loopback & Ethernet drivers
> Network applications include ftp/http clients
> Free-form application windows
>
> www.menuetos.net

Cool! Can you clarify the licensing situation? looks to me like Menuet32
is GPL, but Menuet64 is "all rights reserved". Is that correct?

I just d/l'ed the latest 32-bit version. Haven't played with it, but I
was looking at the code... I see:

mov esp, 0xffff

What were you *thinking*???

Maybe it gets straightened out later - didn't see it. If you guys are
using a misaligned stack in the 64-bit version as well, you're taking a
huge performance hit! Zero is a perfectly acceptable value fot an
initial sp. Esp ought to be dword aligned. I assume rsp wants to be
qword aligned... don't really know. Qword alignment - on *any* stack -
is probably a good idea...

I tried Menuet32 some time ago, and was quite impressed. Glad to see
it's still progressing! Keep up the good work!

Best,
Frank

From: Betov on
Frank Kotler <fbkotler(a)verizon.net> �crivait news:nxWEh.1924$JB2.150
@trnddc07:

> Cool! Can you clarify the licensing situation? looks to me like
Menuet32
> is GPL, but Menuet64 is "all rights reserved". Is that correct?

I was just going to ask the very same question.

:(

???!!!... So said... 25 years too late, anyway...

:( Have fun! :( :( :(

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Frank Kotler on
Betov wrote:
> Frank Kotler <fbkotler(a)verizon.net> �crivait news:nxWEh.1924$JB2.150
> @trnddc07:
>

>>Cool! Can you clarify the licensing situation? looks to me like
>
> Menuet32
>
>>is GPL, but Menuet64 is "all rights reserved". Is that correct?
>

> I was just going to ask the very same question.
>
> :(

Great minds run in the same channels - for certain values of "great". :)

> ???!!!... So said... 25 years too late, anyway...

Surely the 64-bit version isn't 25 years too late! I think I agree with
you that 64-bit is mostly a "marketing thing" (on "desktop" machines),
but I think it's probably "coming" anyway.

> :( Have fun! :( :( :(

I still haven't transplanted the floppy-drive from my old dead K6 to my
current machine. I've never done it, but I understand it's fairly simple
to boot from CD with "floppy emulation". (gotta swap CD drives, too, one
of these days) Anyone had experience with "USB sticks" as an "OS
development" medium? Seems to me that might work out well. Or maybe we
need to do too much to access 'em from boot? This new machine has got
USB (? and firewire?) connectors on the front of it - I've never plugged
anything into 'em...

I'm surprised you're not more "into" an all-asm OS - any OS - Linux86,
ReactOS86, something! Writing apps in asm is all well and good, but
until the "under the hood" stuff is lean and mean, we *really* aren't
accomplishing much. (heresy, but it's true, IMHO)

MenuetOS, when I looked at it, impressed me by fitting on a floppy (an
"obsolete" criterion, I guess) and having a good start at "basic
functionallity" - a GUI, a development environment (Fasm), and the
ability to get online. Actually, it wouldn't support my ethernet card,
but it purported to go online with a number of supported cards. Once we
can go online, we can "flesh out" the OS at leisure. As I recall, it's a
little short on apps - perfect OS for folks who think writing apps is
the only "serious" programming! :)

I really don't mean to single out Menuet - there are a number of
interesting OSen out there. It's just one I've tried, and liked, as far
as it went. When I look at the code (only a tiny bit), I think "this
isn't so great after all", but then I think "look how much this could be
improved!"

As you've pointed out, I haven't written anything, so I have no right to
complain... but sometimes I still do...

Best,
Frank
From: Betov on
Frank Kotler <fbkotler(a)verizon.net> �crivait news:ppZEh.1955$JB2.867
@trnddc07:

> I'm surprised you're not more "into" an all-asm OS - any OS - Linux86,
> ReactOS86, something!

Since the days when Windows killed GeoWorks Ensemble - which
was entirely written in Structured Assembly, and which was a
real competitor, and better than Windows, at the time -, the
case is closed and the game over.

And as long as Linux has been a complete failure, at all points
of views, the only remaining little hope is with ReactOS.

Now, if some Asmer may have fun at developping an Assembly OS,
instead of doing anything serious, this is a nother story, but
one thing is 100% sure, is that they will never get any user,
whatever quality they could achieve, aven admitting - i don't -
that this quality would be better than Windows. Even if it was
free, even if it was way better at all points of view, nobody
would ever use it. Well,... GeoWorks was not free, but...

> Writing apps in asm is all well and good, but
> until the "under the hood" stuff is lean and mean, we *really* aren't
> accomplishing much. (heresy, but it's true, IMHO)
>
> MenuetOS, when I looked at it, impressed me by fitting on a floppy (an
> "obsolete" criterion, I guess) and having a good start at "basic
> functionallity" - a GUI, ...

Yes. Same for me, but it was not the first one at doing so.
I recall of QNX, for example, which was doing that ages ago,
on a single floppy.

> a development environment (Fasm), and the
> ability to get online. Actually, it wouldn't support my ethernet card,
> but it purported to go online with a number of supported cards. Once we
> can go online, we can "flesh out" the OS at leisure. As I recall, it's
> little short on apps - perfect OS for folks who think writing apps is
> the only "serious" programming! :)

Useful and serious are different things, unfortunately.

By the way, did you saw that "ColibryOS"? What is that?
A dissident branch of MenuetOS?

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >