From: Rob on
I am aware that a 32 bit OS will only access 3Gb of ram.

If one has a 64x OS/8Gb ram and runs a 32bit programme, should the
programme be able to access more ram or still be limited to the 32 bit
access of 3Gb of ram.

Is it that 64x OS should be running a 64x programme to enable more ram?

From: Fred on
Rob wrote:
> I am aware that a 32 bit OS will only access 3Gb of ram.
>
> If one has a 64x OS/8Gb ram and runs a 32bit programme, should the
> programme be able to access more ram or still be limited to the 32 bit
> access of 3Gb of ram.
>
> Is it that 64x OS should be running a 64x programme to enable more
> ram?

Microsoft have a site that explains the memory limitations of their OS's

There is a distinction between *physical* addressing limitations and virtual
memory limits.

The kernel needs address space and user programs need address space.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/aa366778.aspx#memory_limits

From: Rob on
On 4/05/2010 10:30 PM, Fred wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>> I am aware that a 32 bit OS will only access 3Gb of ram.
>>
>> If one has a 64x OS/8Gb ram and runs a 32bit programme, should the
>> programme be able to access more ram or still be limited to the 32 bit
>> access of 3Gb of ram.
>>
>> Is it that 64x OS should be running a 64x programme to enable more
>> ram?
>

> Microsoft have a site that explains the memory limitations of their OS's
>
> There is a distinction between *physical* addressing limitations and virtual
> memory limits.
>
> The kernel needs address space and user programs need address space.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/aa366778.aspx#memory_limits

Thats an insight

thanks