From: TW on
> Does anybody if there is unofficial or official USB driver for Windows
> 7 64 bit that will allov HP Connect recognize calculator ?

Send me an email at timwessman at_gmail_com

I sent you a notice earlier but you didn't get it/didn't reply.

TW

From: datajerk on
On Nov 9, 10:12 am, JAM <ja_1...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anybody if there is unofficial or official USB driver for Windows
> 7 64 bit that will allov HP Connect recognize calculator ?
>
> JAM

There is another option:

Get a serial cable + USB to serial and use Kermit. Works great on any
OS for 48/49/50.
From: Joel Koltner on
"John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in message
> (plus a serial port which had no cable to match,

....and a somewhat buggy implementation...

> and somehow managing to require one more battery),

....because some bright guy decided he could say a few DIMES by taking out the
switching power regulator and using a linear power regulator instead. Of
course, the fact that this would cause the end-user to spend many DOLLARS more
on batteries over the life of the device (due to the lower efficiency of a
linear regulator) didn't concern him; he probably received some bonus for cost
reduction. :-(

> Some might say that a descent began much longer ago,
> and ended in what you can get today -- better in programmability,
> internal functions, MK, CAS, developments like flash and SD,
> but no match in various other qualities.

What you see today is much more "purpose-built" devices aimed at the average
middle schooler, then the average high schooler, and finally the average
college kid (and the math classes they're taking) rather than "general-purpose
computing devices" that required the end-user to be a bit more creative in
figuring out how to apply the device to solve his own problems. I find it a
bit ironic that high-end Casio calculators have now just gotten back to having
a full-fledged, BASIC-like programming language... like they had back in the
late '80s/early '90s and then abandoned for over a decade!

---Joel

From: Eric Rechlin on
"Joel Koltner" <zapwireDASHgroups(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> ...because some bright guy decided he could say a few DIMES by taking out
> the switching power regulator and using a linear power regulator instead.
> Of course, the fact that this would cause the end-user to spend many
> DOLLARS more on batteries over the life of the device (due to the lower
> efficiency of a linear regulator) didn't concern him; he probably received
> some bonus for cost reduction. :-(

Unfortunately it's a bit more complicated than it originally appeared.
There are several voltage planes on the calculator (I think 3.3 and 1.8 and
something else), and as I recall the voltage regulators are cascaded. I
seem to recall thinking that the third voltage plane didn't make much sense,
but I can't remember why -- it has been a year since I thought about this.

A friend of mine replaced one of the regulators with a switching regulator
(in small quantities they cost several dollars, but perhaps in HP's
quantities they are a lot cheaper), and that cut power consumption by
something like 20-30 percent. Then he replaced another one and power
consumption went up, though it's entirely possible we screwed something up
in the process (I know I damaged one of the pads when desoldering one of the
regulators).

Without specs on what regulators were used from the factory (we couldn't
really identify the stock regulators) it was hard to find out what to
replace them with. Perhaps we guessed wrong. If schematics and a parts
list were provided it would probably be possible to figure out what exactly
needs to be changed, but as it is now, trying to replace those regulators
isn't very feasible. I'm sure that with the right parts we could do a lot
better than the 20-30% listed above, but it may not be worth the effort of
the labor to install them, especially when you can just run off of USB power
most of the time.

Regards,

Eric Rechlin

From: Joel Koltner on
"Eric Rechlin" <eric(a)hpcalc.org> wrote in message
> Unfortunately it's a bit more complicated than it originally appeared.

OK, but from what you've written, it still sounds like me like the kind of
engineers at the "old HP" (Corvallis) would have definitely stuck with 3
batteries and a switcher and not the 4 battery/linear regulator scheme! If
you figure that people might replace the batteries even just 10 times over the
life of the device, having to do so only 7 or 8 times (20-30% savings) adds up
to more savings than the extra cost of the switching regulators.

> I'm sure that with the right parts we could do a lot better than the 20-30%
> listed above, but it may not be worth the effort of the labor to install
> them, especially when you can just run off of USB power most of the time.

Agreed, it's not really a huge amount of money for an individual one way or
the other, it's really just a sign of how HP has fallen after the
Carly-inspired split, which is sad.

---Joel