From: John H Meyers on
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:08:45 -0600, Joel Koltner wrote:

> From what you've written, it still sounds like me like the kind of
> engineers at the "old HP" (Corvallis) would have definitely stuck with 3
> batteries and a switcher and not the 4 battery/linear regulator scheme! If
> you figure that people might replace the batteries even just 10 times over the
> life of the device, having to do so only 7 or 8 times (20-30% savings) adds up
> to more savings than the extra cost of the switching regulators.

The main thing that increased "miles per gallon,"
in the automobile industry, was legislation,
so that it was no longer optional,
including that the buyers themselves could not opt
for cheaper engineering of less efficient cars
("on average," but that's another story)

In some places, particularly where there used to be more isolation,
local cultural appreciations also served to maintain quality.

Manufacturers are not solely responsible for cutting corners
to make cheaper goods, as it is not entirely possible
to maintain high standards, in the face of non-appreciative consumers,
who do not themselves realize that it may cost them more, in the end,
so they will not buy the ultimately better product,
and may even sacrifice their own livelihood by not supporting
a potentially better industrial/political landscape e.g.:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/

The same extends into social and environmental matters,
where lack of awareness and foresight (of everyone,
not just those merely currently voting in legislatures,
who tend to reflect popular opinions, even if based on apathy)
may end in tragedy, for those still here.

From: JAM on
On Nov 10, 10:45 am, "John H Meyers" <jhmey...(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

> It is older than it appears,
> because the HP50G might still have been called HP49G+,

John.

Agreed, but it is still their best. You can say the same about TI89.
It is just a facelift / upgrade of the old TI92. But TI did managed to
upgrade their TIConnect software with a patch that works on Windows 7
64 bit. It is just a matter of treating your customer with respect. HP
is still selling HP50g to students. How many students these days will
get their college laptop with XP ? In the past it was typical for
manufacturer to abandon only old hardware that was long gone from the
market, but they usually supported everything they were selling with
upgrades to the drivers. Especialy big corporations with respecatble
names like HP used to support their products. I'm not a professional
programmer, but I doubt it would take much effort to converting
existing 32 bit USB driver to 64 bit. Current 32 bit driver does work
on 32 bit Windows 7. I have already tested it. So it is just a matter
of converting it with some testing for reliability.

> [r->] [OFF]

Jack
From: Philip J. Fry on
>> It is older than it appears,
>> because the HP50G might still have been called HP49G+,

Does not this mean that hp is abandoning graphing calculator business?
The flagship model is now more than 6 years old. If they still sell such
an old model then they obviously have no intention to develop a new one.

Fry

From: datajerk on
On Nov 11, 7:05 am, JAM <ja_1...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 10:45 am, "John H Meyers" <jhmey...(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
>
> > It is older than it appears,
> > because the HP50G might still have been called HP49G+,
>
> John.
>
> Agreed, but it is still their best. You can say the same about TI89.
> It is just a facelift / upgrade of the old TI92. But TI did managed to
> upgrade their TIConnect software with a patch that works on Windows 7
> 64 bit. It is just a matter of treating your customer with respect. HP
> is still selling HP50g to students. How many students these days will
> get their college laptop with XP ?

A better question would have been how many college student will use
Windows?

My kid just started NYU as a freshmen. Every kid on her dorm room
floor has a Mac. As I surveyed coffee shops and the library I
estimated about 2/3 of the students had Macs.

So where is the official 50g support for the Mac? I already know
about http://hpconnect.sourceforge.net, which is grand, but some have
had no luck with it. There is nothing in the documentation for Mac
support and nothing on HP's site.

BTW, I also noticed a lot of TIs and no HPs on campus. Perhaps there
is nothing to worry about. :-)
From: Joel Koltner on
<datajerk(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
"A better question would have been how many college student will use
Windows?"

It varies a lot by the particular college... business and engineering majors
are still predominantly Windows, whereas teaching and arts are largely Macs.

And of course there are a few brave souls who go with Linux! :-)

"BTW, I also noticed a lot of TIs and no HPs on campus. Perhaps there
is nothing to worry about. :-)"

Yeah, HP has largely given up the educational market to TI. A decent number
of engineering students still seem to appreciate them, though.