From: elturco on
Lets take another point of view:

Who didn´t have problems with Windows OS, remember changing from 95 to
98, Millenium, 2000, Xp, Xp 64, Vista, Vista 64, and now 7, so at
least for me this happened 5 times (last was Vista 64) and not only
with HP calculators, when the PC is used for professional applications
we are talking about much more money than a calc costs, it sounds
funny but even progs like autocad2009 (U$S5000) don´t work like they
should, there are 16 bit applications that must have been replaced by
the users, if you can manage 10g or more memory with 4 processors why
can´t run a 16 bit cheap program?. The antivirus runs like an F1 but I
can´t connect a gps of U$S 10000 because I don´t have drivers.
This remembers me a Simpsons episode where an F14 can´t catch a Wright
brothers prototype because it is too slow.

So now I have a brand new computer, and of course the first thing I
bought was the PCI to Serial card adapter that didn´t work with
Vista64 so I must change to USB to Serial cable adapter that didn´t
work with all devices, solution: Windows XP and USB to Serial cable
adapter, 64 bit applications were totally sacrificed for the
moment....

From: JAM on
On Nov 11, 7:06 pm, "dataj...(a)gmail.com" <dataj...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 11, 7:05 am, JAM <ja_1...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 10, 10:45 am, "John H Meyers" <jhmey...(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
>
> > > It is older than it appears,
> > > because the HP50G might still have been called HP49G+,
>
> > John.
>
> > Agreed, but it is still their best. You can say the same about TI89.
> > It is just a facelift / upgrade of the old TI92. But TI did managed to
> > upgrade their TIConnect software with a patch that works on Windows 7
> > 64 bit. It is just a matter of treating your customer with respect. HP
> > is still selling HP50g to students. How many students these days will
> > get their college laptop with XP ?
>
> A better question would have been how many college student will use
> Windows?
>
> My kid just started NYU as a freshmen.  Every kid on her dorm room
> floor has a Mac.  As I surveyed coffee shops and the library I
> estimated about 2/3 of the students had Macs.
>
> So where is the official 50g support for the Mac?  I already know
> abouthttp://hpconnect.sourceforge.net, which is grand, but some have
> had no luck with it.  There is nothing in the documentation for Mac
> support and nothing on HP's site.
>
> BTW, I also noticed a lot of TIs and no HPs on campus.  Perhaps there
> is nothing to worry about.  :-)

I know Macs are in fashion especially for art students who do not need
HP50g in general. It is not very smart however for engineering
students to use Macs. Sure they can do it. Young people do a lot of
stupid things just to be "different". I know a student who bought his
shiny 13' underpowered Mac just to end up running it constantly in
Windows mode for all his studies related software. The fact is that
most of their future work related software will not work on Macs but
on Windows. Industrial CAD, CAE and numerous engineering applications
are 99% Windows these days. All the big manufacturing corporations are
100% Windows. Microsfot Office is dominant for engineering companies.
It is just a fact of life. Corporations will never invest in Macs.
They lack software and their cost cannot be sanely justified. Plus
Macs are so Holywood. C'mon man, grow up :-)

JAM
From: Michael J. Schülke on
JAM schrieb:
> I know Macs are in fashion especially for art students who do not need
> HP50g in general. It is not very smart however for engineering
> students to use Macs.

As a physicist, I don't profess to know much about engineers or
engineering students. I do know, however, that computer scientists and
and (computational) physicists were among the first to switch when OS X
came out, generally to cries of "Finally, a UNIX with a decent
desktop"...

Regards,
Michael
From: datajerk on
On Nov 12, 9:37 am, Michael J. Schülke <n...(a)mjschuelke.de> wrote:
> JAM schrieb:
>
> > I know Macs are in fashion especially for art students who do not need
> > HP50g in general. It is not very smart however for engineering
> > students to use Macs.
>
> As a physicist, I don't profess to know much about engineers or
> engineering students. I do know, however, that computer scientists and
> and (computational) physicists were among the first to switch when OS X
> came out, generally to cries of "Finally, a UNIX with a decent
> desktop"...

Same here. I work in high performance computing. Most of my
government and university customers all of which are physicists,
mathematicians, chemists, engineers, etc... mostly use OS/X. None use
calculators.
From: JAM on
On Nov 12, 11:37 am, Michael J. Schülke <n...(a)mjschuelke.de> wrote:
> JAM schrieb:
>
> > I know Macs are in fashion especially for art students who do not need
> > HP50g in general. It is not very smart however for engineering
> > students to use Macs.
>
> As a physicist, I don't profess to know much about engineers or
> engineering students. I do know, however, that computer scientists and
> and (computational) physicists were among the first to switch when OS X
> came out, generally to cries of "Finally, a UNIX with a decent
> desktop"...
>
> Regards,
> Michael

Micheal

To be fair, in the past most engineering applications were run on
Unix. CAD, CAE, you name it. However Office was practically always
Microsoft since I remember (last 20 years or so). It created a
situation that many engineers were running two computers - Unix
workstation for engineering applications and Windows desktop or
recently laptop for office communication etc. This put pressure on
software companies to rewrite it's software in Windows. Now almost
every modern application in CAE od CAD is Windows based any many of
those companies are abandoning or completely abandoned Unix. Fact is
Mac or any other operating system will never have in many yeas in the
future anywhere near in quantity and quality of available software as
Windows based machines are enjoying. That is Why Mac was forced
finally to dual boot into Windows not the other way around :-)

JAM