From: Frederick J. Barnett on
I have an AGFA Snapscan 1212u. Right now it's being used with
the 32 bit Windows 7 RC, and I've already ordered the retail version
of 7. I would like to install the 64 bit version, but I'm afraid I'll
lose my scanner. While it does work with 32 bit 7, it only works with
the Scanwise program. I can't scan inside any other program. They
can't find the scanner. AGFA got out of the scanner business years
ago, so no chance at all of updated drivers from them.

I don't want to have to replace an otherwise perfectly good
scanner just to use 64 bit, but on the other hand I hate the idea of
just one device (everything else will work fine, I checked) preventing
me from using it.

Any suggestions?

Frederick J. Barnett http://www.eatel.net/~fred/
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone
From: Massimo on
Hello,

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:31:57 -0500, Frederick J. Barnett
<fred(a)eatel.net> wrote:

> I have an AGFA Snapscan 1212u. Right now it's being used with
>the 32 bit Windows 7 RC, and I've already ordered the retail version
>of 7. I would like to install the 64 bit version, but I'm afraid I'll
>lose my scanner. While it does work with 32 bit 7, it only works with
>the Scanwise program. I can't scan inside any other program. They
>can't find the scanner. AGFA got out of the scanner business years
>ago, so no chance at all of updated drivers from them.

Is not it so that 32bit programs can work also under a 64bit Windows
in 32bits mode?

> I don't want to have to replace an otherwise perfectly good
>scanner just to use 64 bit, but on the other hand I hate the idea of
>just one device (everything else will work fine, I checked) preventing
>me from using it.

Some versions of Windows7 (at any rate Business and Ultimate versions)
will offer the possibility to work with kind of integrated
XP-compatibility mode. I forgot the 3-letter abbreviation for that
optional part of Win7 that you'll have to download separately.

> Any suggestions?
>
>Frederick J. Barnett http://www.eatel.net/~fred/
>"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

Massimo
From: Frederick J. Barnett on
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 01:40:49 +0200, Massimo
<och(a)tisnietwaar.nl.invalid> wrote:

>Is not it so that 32bit programs can work also under a 64bit Windows
>in 32bits mode?

I've never used 64 bit before, but the fact other hardware has
64 and 32 versions, I doubt it. I also read somewhere that 32 drivers
don't work with 64 OSes.

>Some versions of Windows7 (at any rate Business and Ultimate versions)
>will offer the possibility to work with kind of integrated
>XP-compatibility mode. I forgot the 3-letter abbreviation for that
>optional part of Win7 that you'll have to download separately.

The version of 7 I'm getting doesn't have the XP compatibility
mode and can't use it.

From: Massimo on
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:48:31 -0500, Frederick J. Barnett
<fred(a)eatel.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 01:40:49 +0200, Massimo
><och(a)tisnietwaar.nl.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Is not it so that 32bit programs can work also under a 64bit Windows
>>in 32bits mode?
>>
> I've never used 64 bit before, but the fact other hardware has
>64 and 32 versions, I doubt it. I also read somewhere that 32 drivers
>don't work with 64 OSes.

I read it in a newsgroup. Perhaps you could do some research in this
matter?

>>Some versions of Windows7 (at any rate Business and Ultimate versions)
>>will offer the possibility to work with kind of integrated
>>XP-compatibility mode. I forgot the 3-letter abbreviation for that
>>optional part of Win7 that you'll have to download separately.
>>
> The version of 7 I'm getting doesn't have the XP compatibility
>mode and can't use it.

That's a pity...

From: Frederick J. Barnett on
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:55:32 +0200, Massimo
<och(a)tisnietwaar.nl.invalid> wrote:

>I read it in a newsgroup. Perhaps you could do some research in this
>matter?

32 bit software will work, but hardware drivers are a
different matter.