From: Jan Burse on
Nam Nguyen schrieb:
> I have a question: Let A be an atomic formula of an L.
> As far as FOL proof is concerned, if (A \/ ~A) signifies
> a tautology and (A /\ ~A) a contradiction, what would
> (A xor ~A) signify?

A xor ~A is also a tautology, in the same sense that
A \/ ~A is a tautology. You can define a tautology
as a formula having a T in each row of the truth table:

A ~A A xor ~A
F T T
T F T

A ~A A \/ ~A
F T T
T F T

There a lot more formulae based only on one propositional
variable, that are tautologies in classical logic.
Here are some examples:

(~A -> A) -> A
~~A -> A
f -> A
Etc..

Bye
From: Nam Nguyen on
Jan Burse wrote:
> Nam Nguyen schrieb:
>> I have a question: Let A be an atomic formula of an L.
>> As far as FOL proof is concerned, if (A \/ ~A) signifies
>> a tautology and (A /\ ~A) a contradiction, what would
>> (A xor ~A) signify?
>>

> A xor ~A is also a tautology, in the same sense that
> A \/ ~A is a tautology. You can define a tautology
> as a formula having a T in each row of the truth table:
>
> A ~A A xor ~A
> F T T
> T F T
>
> A ~A A \/ ~A
> F T T
> T F T

Please note the word "proof" in my "As far as FOL proof is
concerned". Are we then saying in _all_ formal systems
there's a _proof_ for (A xor ~A)?

> There a lot more formulae based only on one propositional
> variable, that are tautologies in classical logic.
> Here are some examples:
>
> (~A -> A) -> A
> ~~A -> A
> f -> A
> Etc..
>
> Bye

Normally, we do not so much look at things as overlook them.
Zen Quotes by Alan Watt
From: Nam Nguyen on
William Elliot wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010, Nam Nguyen wrote:
>> William Elliot wrote:

>>> A xor ~A <-> A&~~A v ~A&~A
>>
>> So, then, what does e.g. (A or ~A) signify to you?
>
> A v ~A <-> ~(~A & ~~A)

So, to you, (A or ~A) would NOT signify the formula is provable
in all formal system? And (A and ~A), to you, would NOT signify
the formula is provable in all inconsistent systems?

What do you think the word "signify" would mean in this context?

From: Nam Nguyen on
PiperAlpha167 wrote:
> On Aug 7, 5:42 pm, Nam Nguyen <namducngu...(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
>> I have a question: Let A be an atomic formula of an L.
>> As far as FOL proof is concerned, if (A \/ ~A) signifies
>> a tautology and (A /\ ~A) a contradiction, what would
>> (A xor ~A) signify?
>
> (A V ~A) & ~(A & ~A)
>
> You might take a look at:
>
> http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/courses/logsys/pnc-pem.htm

Thanks for the link. As mentioned with JB, the context here
is "FOL proof". My intention is to claim (A xor ~A) _signify_
the impossibility to syntactically prove the consistency of
a consistent system. But I'm not so sure the formula would
be a correct characterization of such.

The scodnary intention is to go from there and find a replacement
for CON(T) that doesn't depend on the notion of the natural numbers.
(A very long shot though, imho).

From: Jan Burse on
Nam Nguyen schrieb:
> Please note the word "proof" in my "As far as FOL proof is
> concerned". Are we then saying in _all_ formal systems
> there's a _proof_ for (A xor ~A)?

Your saying "As far as FOL proof is concerned (A \/ ~A)
signifies a tautology" doesn't make much sence. Since
the notion tautology is not related to derivability
in a proof system, it is related to a notion of truth.

A tautology(*) is a formula that is true under all
interpretations. A proof system does not primarly
define a notion of interpretation. A proof system
usually defines a notion of derivation.

A tautology in a first order language is not simply
a tautology in propositional language where we replace
the propositional variables by some first order formulae
and eventually prepend quantifiers. This would give a
too small a set of always true sentences.

But if your proof system is sound and complete, i.e.
if we have

A is a valid consequence (we only need to exhibit
one derivation) in the proof system from the
empty set of premisses
iff
A is a tautology (i.e. true in all interpretation,
not only in one interpretation, but in all!)

Then I might interpret your saying "As far as FOL is concerned
(A \/ ~A) signifies a tautology", as meaning A \/ ~A is a
valid consequence. I currently don't know exactly how
the notion of tautology in the narrow sense, i.e.
propositional tautology with first order formula substituted
and quantifiers prended, would relate.

But what should your saying "As far as FOL is concerned
(A /\ ~A) signifies a contradiction" mean? The difficulty
here is the same. The notion of contradiction, as
a property of a formula, is not related to derivability
in a proof system, it is related to a notion of truth.

A contradiction(*) is a formula that is false under all
interpretations. There is now an easy relationship
between this truth notion and the derivation notion
of a proof system, provided it is sound and complete:

~A is a valid consequence
iff
A is a contradiction

Bye