From: Nam Nguyen on
I have a question: Let A be an atomic formula of an L.
As far as FOL proof is concerned, if (A \/ ~A) signifies
a tautology and (A /\ ~A) a contradiction, what would
(A xor ~A) signify?

Normally, we do not so much look at things as overlook them.
Zen Quotes by Alan Watt
From: William Elliot on
On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, Nam Nguyen wrote:

> I have a question: Let A be an atomic formula of an L.
> As far as FOL proof is concerned, if (A \/ ~A) signifies
> a tautology and (A /\ ~A) a contradiction, what would
> (A xor ~A) signify?

A xor ~A <-> A&~~A v ~A&~A
From: Nam Nguyen on
William Elliot wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, Nam Nguyen wrote:
>
>> I have a question: Let A be an atomic formula of an L.
>> As far as FOL proof is concerned, if (A \/ ~A) signifies
>> a tautology and (A /\ ~A) a contradiction, what would
>> (A xor ~A) signify?
>>
> A xor ~A <-> A&~~A v ~A&~A

So, then, what does e.g. (A or ~A) signify to you?

From: PiperAlpha167 on
On Aug 7, 5:42 pm, Nam Nguyen <namducngu...(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
> I have a question: Let A be an atomic formula of an L.
> As far as FOL proof is concerned, if (A \/ ~A) signifies
> a tautology and (A /\ ~A) a contradiction, what would
> (A xor ~A) signify?

> Normally, we do not so much look at things as overlook them.
>                                       Zen Quotes by Alan Watt

(A V ~A) & ~(A & ~A)

You might take a look at:

http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/courses/logsys/pnc-pem.htm

From: William Elliot on
On Sun, 8 Aug 2010, Nam Nguyen wrote:
> William Elliot wrote:
>> On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, Nam Nguyen wrote:
>>
>>> I have a question: Let A be an atomic formula of an L.
>>> As far as FOL proof is concerned, if (A \/ ~A) signifies
>>> a tautology and (A /\ ~A) a contradiction, what would
>>> (A xor ~A) signify?
>>>
>> A xor ~A <-> A&~~A v ~A&~A
>
> So, then, what does e.g. (A or ~A) signify to you?

----