From: Nam Nguyen on
Nam Nguyen wrote:
> Jan Burse wrote:
>> Nam Nguyen wrote:
>>> Be that as it may, a contraction could also be defined
>>> as a formula of the form (F /\ ~F) for some formula F.
>
> Despite what you said below, (F /\ ~F) can be defined as
> a contraction purely on the semantics of the logical symbols
> /\, and ~ (and no theory needs to be involved).

Well, OK, let's take your hints below and define a contradiction
as a formula that's logically equivalent to (F /\ ~F) for some F.

>> Well you may find the definition that a theory T is
>> contradictory iff there is a formula B, such that
>> B and ~B are derivable from it.
>>
>> But this is not the same as to say that a contradictory
>> formula A has the form B /\ ~B. For example the following
>> formulae are all also contradictory in itself, but do
>> not have this form:
>>
>> f (i)
>> p /\ (p -> ~p) (ii)
>> ~(p \/ ~p) (iii)
>> p /\ ~~~p (iv)
>> Etc...
>>
>> They are contradictory in the sense that their negation
>> can be derived, and in the sense that they are always
>> false and in the sense when taken as a theory, i.e.
>> a theory consisting of this single formula A, then we
>> can find formula B and ~B that are derivable from this
>> theory.
>>
>> In fact it happens that we can pick A itself as a witness
>> B for a contradiction. Because when A is contradictory
>> its negation can be derived:
>>
>> |- ~A
>>
>> And by weakening we have trivially:
>>
>> A |- ~A
>>
>> Further by identity we have:
>>
>> A |- A
>>
>> So indeed A and ~A follow from the theory A, when A is
>> contradictory. More meta reasoning would show that we
>> can pick any formula C as a witness, since classical
>> logic explodes upon inconsistency.
>>
>> Best Regards

Normally, we do not so much look at things as overlook them.
Zen Quotes by Alan Watt
From: Jan Burse on
Nam Nguyen schrieb:
> Well, OK, let's take your hints below and define a contradiction
> as a formula that's logically equivalent to (F /\ ~F) for some F.

Well logically equivalent means:

|- A <-> F /\ ~F (i)

Which can be shown to be the same as:

|- A <-> f (ii)

Which can be shown to be the same as:

|- ~A (iii)

Agreed!

Bye

BTW: The xor, is the same as ~(A <-> B). I have been seeing
your xor pattern A xor ~A in the modal representation of
the problem you posed. The modal representation was:

~<2>(~[1]A -> ~<2>A) (a)

Which can be shown to be the same as (by contraposition):

~<2>(<2>A -> [1]A) (b)

Now if we know from an other source that the following holds:

[1]A -> <2>A

Then we could add this to (b), i.e., we would have

~<2>((<2>A -> [1]A) & t) (c)

And then:

~<2>((<2>A -> [1]A) & ([1]A -> <2>A)) (d)

And thus:

~<2>(<2>A <-> [1]A)

There is a relationship between diamond and box, thus we
would have:

~<2>(<2>A <-> ~<1>~A)

Now dropping both modal operators I arrive at:

~(A <-> ~~A)

Hm, not quite what you said. This would be A xor ~~A,
and not A xor ~A. And it is not a tautology, but a
contradiction. Ok forget about it, this was just
an idea.

Well a further idea: In intuitionistic logic respectively
minimal logic or even super intuitionistic logic the
implication has a modal operator built in(*). So the
above might be really a formula signifying what you are
looking for, but in a non classical logic.

Bye

(*)
Inituitionistic (minimal, super intuitionistic) A ~> B
can be view as [](A -> B), where -> is classical.
From: Nam Nguyen on
Jan Burse wrote:
> Nam Nguyen schrieb:
>> Well, OK, let's take your hints below and define a contradiction
>> as a formula that's logically equivalent to (F /\ ~F) for some F.
>
> Well logically equivalent means:
>
> |- A <-> F /\ ~F (i)

No. It means: {A} |- (F /\ ~F) is true _and_ {F /\ ~F} |- (A) is true.
Which means you have to _prove_ them both.

> Which can be shown to be the same as:
>
> |- A <-> f (ii)
>
> Which can be shown to be the same as:
>
> |- ~A (iii)
>
> Agreed!

Again No. "|-" is context sensitive, and shouldn't be as obscured
as a combination of the 3 usages you showed above.

From: Jan Burse on
Nam Nguyen schrieb:
> Jan Burse wrote:
>> Nam Nguyen schrieb:
>>> Well, OK, let's take your hints below and define a contradiction
>>> as a formula that's logically equivalent to (F /\ ~F) for some F.
>>
>> Well logically equivalent means:
>>
>> |- A <-> F /\ ~F (i)
>
> No. It means: {A} |- (F /\ ~F) is true _and_ {F /\ ~F} |- (A) is true.
> Which means you have to _prove_ them both.

Yes I know the above, it is also sometimes denoted as:

A -||- F /\ ~F

Well if you have a logic where the deduction theorem is always
available (such FOL logics do exist), then you can apply it,
and you will see:

{A} |- F /\ ~F (1)

Is the same as:

{} |- A -> F /\ ~F (2)

And:

{F /\ ~F} |- A (3)

Is the same as:

{} |- F /\ ~F -> A (4)

Now if your logic behaves correctly with respect to conjunction
we see that (2) and (4) are the same as:

{} |- (A -> F /\ ~F) & (F /\ ~F -> A)

Is the same as:

{} |- A <-> F /\ ~F

I am showing you this because I also needed some moment in my live
to convince myself about this. So please take also your time to convice
yourself about this. It is quite handy and gives the <-> in logic
a special role.

The rest of my previous post then follows.

Bye
From: Nam Nguyen on
Jan Burse wrote:
> Nam Nguyen schrieb:
>> Jan Burse wrote:
>>>
>>> Well logically equivalent means:
>>>
>>> |- A <-> F /\ ~F (i)
>>
>> No. It means: {A} |- (F /\ ~F) is true _and_ {F /\ ~F} |- (A) is true.
>> Which means you have to _prove_ them both.
>
> Yes I know the above, it is also sometimes denoted as:
>
> A -||- F /\ ~F

I think I'm OK with this notation as long as we're clear on the
2 formal systems involved.

> Well if you have a logic where the deduction theorem is always
> available (such FOL logics do exist), then you can apply it,
> and you will see:

I'm not familiar with the deduction theorem, but isn't it true
{A} |- F /\ ~F would already follow the definition we both stipulated
above? If the definition of equivalence says that A <-> B iff:

{A} |- B is true _and_ {B} |- A is true

and if we already prove A to be equivalent to F /\ ~F
then we could further define A to be a contradiction.
Why make things more complicated than it should be?

Also Part of what I'm not clear below is what you'd mean by
"{}": what formal system would that be?