From: William Elliot on
On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, Nam Nguyen wrote:

> I have a question: Let A be an atomic formula of an L.
> As far as FOL proof is concerned, if (A \/ ~A) signifies
> a tautology and (A /\ ~A) a contradiction, what would
> (A xor ~A) signify?

A tautology.
From: Nam Nguyen on
William Elliot wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, Nam Nguyen wrote:
>
>> I have a question: Let A be an atomic formula of an L.
>> As far as FOL proof is concerned, if (A \/ ~A) signifies
>> a tautology and (A /\ ~A) a contradiction, what would
>> (A xor ~A) signify?
>
> A tautology.

Right. That's what JB said and I now realize it so. I've also
moved the topic toward the revised (*) and a possible replacement
of the familiar CON(T).

Normally, we do not so much look at things as overlook them.
Zen Quotes by Alan Watt
From: Jan Burse on
Nam Nguyen wrote:
> Be that as it may, a contraction could also be defined
> as a formula of the form (F /\ ~F) for some formula F.

Well you may find the definition that a theory T is
contradictory iff there is a formula B, such that
B and ~B are derivable from it.

But this is not the same as to say that a contradictory
formula A has the form B /\ ~B. For example the following
formulae are all also contradictory in itself, but do
not have this form:

f (i)
p /\ (p -> ~p) (ii)
~(p \/ ~p) (iii)
p /\ ~~~p (iv)
Etc...

They are contradictory in the sense that their negation
can be derived, and in the sense that they are always
false and in the sense when taken as a theory, i.e.
a theory consisting of this single formula A, then we
can find formula B and ~B that are derivable from this
theory.

In fact it happens that we can pick A itself as a witness
B for a contradiction. Because when A is contradictory
its negation can be derived:

|- ~A

And by weakening we have trivially:

A |- ~A

Further by identity we have:

A |- A

So indeed A and ~A follow from the theory A, when A is
contradictory. More meta reasoning would show that we
can pick any formula C as a witness, since classical
logic explodes upon inconsistency.

Best Regards

From: Jan Burse on
Nam Nguyen wrote:
> William Elliot wrote:
>> On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, Nam Nguyen wrote:
>>
>>> I have a question: Let A be an atomic formula of an L.
>>> As far as FOL proof is concerned, if (A \/ ~A) signifies
>>> a tautology and (A /\ ~A) a contradiction, what would
>>> (A xor ~A) signify?
>>
>> A tautology.
>
> Right. That's what JB said and I now realize it so. I've also
> moved the topic toward the revised (*) and a possible replacement
> of the familiar CON(T).

Oops, only reading this now after I have already posted
something about "A contradiction".

Bye
From: Nam Nguyen on
Jan Burse wrote:
> Nam Nguyen wrote:
>> Be that as it may, a contraction could also be defined
>> as a formula of the form (F /\ ~F) for some formula F.

Despite what you said below, (F /\ ~F) can be defined as
a contraction purely on the semantics of the logical symbols
/\, and ~ (and no theory needs to be involved).