From: chuckers on
On Aug 7, 2:10 am, Cydrome Leader <prese...(a)MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:
> Greg Andrews <g...(a)panix.com> wrote:
> > dkco...(a)panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>
> >>This sun-service guy I was talking to [...]
>
> >>He said that he'd NEVER seen a case where people installed
> >>non-Sun-marked disks to a Sun computer.
>
> >>Sure makes no sense to me, especially when you don't have a
> >>Service contract.
>
> > He's a Sun service guy.  He doesn't talk to people who don't
> > have a service contract.
>
> > Of course he's going to recommend against putting a non-Sun
> > disk drive into a Sun computer.  His corporate masters have
> > told him to.
>
> > This isn't unusual.  Manufacturers in all industries have been
> > pressuring their customers to buy parts only from them (and not
> > a third party) for decades.
>
> >  -Greg
>
> so?
>
> Newegg/com isn't coming on-site in 2 hours to replace a failed drive in an
> array.
>
> Sun or HP will.

I believe disks are considered FRUs and Sun very much prefers that the
customer
replaces the part rather than send out and expensive engineer to do it
for effectively
free. That may depend on the level of your contract though.

They can often get pissy about part replacement as well claiming that
you need to send
the broken disk back first before they will ship out a new one. You
then have to get
on the phone and tell them that you aren't going to be breaking the
mirror on a metadisk
until the new part is on hand because you don't want to risk the
amount of time the
system will be unmirrored. They usually relent.