From: Richard B. Gilbert on
Doug McIntyre wrote:
> dkcombs(a)panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>> This sun-service guy I was talking to told me that if I
>> wanted to add more disk, I had to get it from Sun ($$$!),
>> not straight from Seagate, say.
>
> This is true for almost all Enterprise equipment vendors.
>
> If you want to add disks to EMC, NetApp, Dell, HP, IBM, etc. etc. You
> must buy their own labeled disks. In many cases, the vendor writes
> their own custom firmware for the disk, and their controllers look for
> that firmware and won't work without it.
>
> Sun has been one of the most lenient about it, letting you add just
> about any disk, its only the support end that would refuse to support
> you when you bypass them.
>
> In the past, for Sun and Dell, its been more about its just about
> impossible to buy the proper sleds directly from them, so you'd have
> to go to 3rd party resellers that may have some stockpiled. If they
> had just come out with a new sled design, then it'd be almost
> impossible to get it without buying the drives direct. But once its
> been in use for some time, then they tend to be easier to get 3rd hand.
>
> Now, Dell has gone the route of custom firmware as well for their
> higher end controllers, whereas EMC and NetApp have required custom
> firmware for just about forever.
>
> Memory, SFPs/GBICs, etc. etc. Almost all equipment vendors want to
> lock you in.

This is scarcely news! It has been going on for at least the last forty
years and probably longer.
From: Thad Floryan on
On 7/30/2010 8:00 AM, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Doug McIntyre wrote:
>> dkcombs(a)panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>>> This sun-service guy I was talking to told me that if I
>>> wanted to add more disk, I had to get it from Sun ($$$!),
>>> not straight from Seagate, say.
>>
>> This is true for almost all Enterprise equipment vendors.
>> [...]
>> Memory, SFPs/GBICs, etc. etc. Almost all equipment vendors want to
>> lock you in.
>
> This is scarcely news! It has been going on for at least the last forty
> years and probably longer.

Definitely longer. I recall DEC's "connector conspiracy" as a real PITA.
For every new system, DEC would patent a new connector(s) so no one
could produce 3rd-party accessories.

Additional lockins here: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendor_lock-in>