From: toby on
On Jan 11, 3:07 pm, karthikbalaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
> There are certain editors that highlight
> the syntax/color for datatypes/variables
> or comments etc.
>
> Similarly,
> Is there a tool for C language that
> could suggest an optimized/alternate
> programming logic for the function that
> is written ?

IMHO the most effective output it could make is: "Are you really sure
the best tool for this task is C?"

From: karthikbalaguru on
On Jan 25, 5:31 am, toby <t...(a)telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> On Jan 11, 3:07 pm, karthikbalaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > There are certain editors that highlight
> > the syntax/color for datatypes/variables
> > or comments etc.
>
> > Similarly,
> > Is there a tool for C language that
> > could suggest an optimized/alternate
> > programming logic for the function that
> > is written ?
>
> IMHO the most effective output it could make is: "Are you really sure
> the best tool for this task is C?"

My query is 'A tool that suggests
optimized logic for a piece of
code/module/function' . I am
looking for a tool that suggests
optimized logic for various
modules/functions written in
C language.
The tool can be made of any
language.

> > The optimized/alternate logic can be
> > suggested as soon as we finish coding
> > for one function or it can be suggested
> > as soon as the code is compiled/parsed
> > by that tool.
>
> > It will be even more helpful if that tool
> > also provides the cycle counts, cache
> > usage, cache misses and lines of code
> > also.
>
> > It would be better if that tool has an
> > option to enable / disable this feature
> > either through compile time or some
> > other configurations.
>
> > Any ideas ?
>
> > Thx in advans,
> > Karthik Balaguru- Hide quoted text -

Karthik Balaguru
From: Nick Keighley on
On 26 Jan, 05:20, karthikbalaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 25, 5:31 am, toby <t...(a)telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> > On Jan 11, 3:07 pm, karthikbalaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com>

<snip>

> > > Is there a tool for C language that
> > > could suggest an optimized/alternate
> > > programming logic for the function that
> > > is written ?
>
> > IMHO the most effective output it could make is: "Are you really sure
> > the best tool for this task is C?"
>
> My query is 'A tool that suggests
> optimized logic for a piece of
> code/module/function' .

we can read

> I am
> looking for a tool that suggests
> optimized logic for various
> modules/functions written in
> C language.

and I am doubtful that such a tool can exist

> The tool can be made of any
> language.

or none

BTW: are your lines so short so your posts look like poetry?

--
"By 1985, machines will be capable of doing any work that a man can
do"
From: karthikbalaguru on
On Jan 26, 3:51 pm, Josef Moellers <josef.moell...(a)ts.fujitsu.com>
wrote:
> karthikbalaguru wrote:
> > My query is 'A tool that suggests
> > optimized logic for a piece of
> > code/module/function' . I am
>
> Define "optimized"!
>
> Optimized for speed, optimized for memory requirement, optimized to
> handle extreme situations, optimized to handle easy situations?

Exactly !
The tool should support
for memory based optimization
that greatly helps in memory/
cost constraint systems,
speed based optimization that
greatly decides the performance
in certain projects, perfect
algorithm/logic required for a
particular scenario, and other
optimization techniques applicable.
It should probably have an option
that could decide the type of
optimization required for the user
for the particular module. May
be there can be an option called
'general optimization' that would
apply all optimization techniques
to a certain level only in a
balanced manner.

If the user is particular about
certain particular optimization,
Once the type of optimization
is got as input from the user,
even the level of optimization can
be got from the user by having
some flags/options for defining
different levels of optimization .

It could also tell the bottlenecks
in the code and that would greatly
help in optimizing the right piece
of code. Maybe a profiler should
also be part of it. The tool can
also display graphs that could
give comparitive analysis of
speed improvement vs memory
usage vs various levels of various
kinds of optimization techniques.

It can also suggest the best
possible number of threads
required, message queues
required for a particular
logic and define that logic.
It can remove off redundant
threads, interrupts or timers
etc and add if required for
an efficient logic that it
could suggest to the user.

Maybe, it can also suggest
various processors and the
relative performance w.r.t
memory, speed and cost
for those .
It could also suggest if
we need to go in for a
multicore and if so , it
can suggest the number
of cores and the kind of
processor !

Karthik Balaguru
From: santosh on

Nick wrote:
> karthikbalaguru <karthikbalaguru79(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Jan 26, 3:51 pm, Josef Moellers <josef.moell...(a)ts.fujitsu.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Define "optimized"!
> >>
> >> Optimized for speed, optimized for memory requirement, optimized to
> >> handle extreme situations, optimized to handle easy situations?
> >>

> > Exactly !
> > The tool should support
> > for memory based optimization
>
> Optimised for line width, apparently.

A case of over-optimisation, if there ever was one. ;-)