From: Bob Horton on
<rflynn4_nospam(a)cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:31:20 GMT, "Bob Horton"
> <rehorton_jr_no_maps(a)hotmaill.com> wrote:
>

>>"Paul G" <paul_gnr(a)yahooooo.com> wrote in message
>>> There's a chance it might be a bad BIOS. Is there a local computer
>>> store that might sell this particular mobo? If so, go buy a new one
>>> and replace the BIOS to see if it migh work.
>>>
>>> However, I think it might be best to just RMA the board before the
>>> warranty runs out.
>>>
>>> In any case, good luck.
>>>
>>> "Bob Horton" <no_re_horton_jr_maps(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>Well, things just keep getting weirder. I bought another one of the
>>boards
>>(identical). I put everything back together exactly as it was before.
>>The
>>machine posted, then went into Windows. It loaded about halfway through
>>then through up a BSOD. The error was non-informative (just a "stop"
>>message with a bunch of numbers and no text). On the re-boot, I got the
>>"bad boot sector" message again!!! I have let the thing try to reinstall
>>the BIOS a least a dozen times with no joy. I even re-named the latest
>>BIOS
>>release to the default name and let it install the BIOS from the floppy
>>with
>>no joy. I am afraid to try the CMOS reset procedure, as last time I did
>>that I wound up with a machine that would do nothing. I have no clue as
>>what to try next. I am very open to suggestions. I have never
>>experienced
>>anything like this. I don't think I've ever been at a point with a
>>computer
>>where I had no idea what to even try next. Suggestions please! TIA!
>
> Hi:
>
> I installed 2 of these motherboards when they first came out. An odd
> thing you had to do was to enable the Parallel Port in BIOS Setup
> whether you were going to be using it or not.
> I 've never spotted an admitted fix for this in any BIOS flash or
> nVidia software update so I've just left the port enabled for no other
> reason.
>
> Give that a shot.
>
> Happy trailz,

Man, I'd kill to get to the BIOS setup, but you can't get there. The only
place you can get to is some kind of built-in utility that tries to correct
the BIOS check-sum error. It is impossible to get anywhere else -- no DOS
boot disks, no BIOS or RAID setup screens; nothing. It will read the "A"
drive, but only to look fro the BIOS file. I've tried every key combo known
to mankind. When it got to this point on the first MB, I did the CMOS
routine then I would up with a board that did nothing put power fans and
lights. Having said all that, thanks for the suggestion and everyone,
PLEASE keep them coming. TIA once more!

--
Bob Horton

From: Paul G on
Hi Bob,

Since you had the same problem with the second board, I would
narrow down the list of probable causes to the following:

(1) Bad power supply,
(2) Bad memory,
(3) Bad video card.

I'm leaning more towards either (1) or (2). I recommend that you
borrow a power supply from a friend and try it out. Also, make
sure you don't connect a power cable to the video card .

Could you please list the make and model of each of the 3 parts above?

Take care,
Paul

From: Bob Horton on
> Hi Bob,
>
> Since you had the same problem with the second board, I would
> narrow down the list of probable causes to the following:
>
> (1) Bad power supply,
> (2) Bad memory,
> (3) Bad video card.
>
> I'm leaning more towards either (1) or (2). I recommend that you
> borrow a power supply from a friend and try it out. Also, make
> sure you don't connect a power cable to the video card .
>
> Could you please list the make and model of each of the 3 parts above?
>
> Take care,
> Paul
>

> "Bob Horton" <rehorton_jr_no_maps(a)hotmaill.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Well, things just keep getting weirder. I bought another one of the
>> boards (identical). I put everything back together exactly as it was
>> before. The machine posted, then went into Windows. It loaded about
>> halfway through then through up a BSOD. The error was non-informative
>> (just a "stop" message with a bunch of numbers and no text). On the
>> re-boot, I got the "bad boot sector" message again!!! I have let the
>> thing try to reinstall the BIOS a least a dozen times with no joy. I
>> even re-named the latest BIOS release to the default name and let it
>> install the BIOS from the floppy with no joy. I am afraid to try the
>> CMOS reset procedure, as last time I did that I wound up with a machine
>> that would do nothing. I have no clue as to what to try next. I am very
>> open to suggestions. I have never experienced anything like this. I
>> don't think I've ever been at a point with a computer where I had no idea
>> what to even try next. Suggestions please! TIA!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Bob Horton

Sorry but I've been away again. The good news is that I have fixed the
problem! It turned out that BOTH of my sticks of memory died; neither stick
would post! I have honestly never seen this happen before. I had tried
each stick separately and in every MB slot, but I had not tried totally
different memory. I had an old stick of 512 MB PC 2700 RAM laying around
which I stuck in just for the hell of it and the machine booted perfectly.
I now have 2 MB of new Centon memory installed. I have run memtest on these
without any errors reported, so I am happy. I am still a bit perplexed as
to what may have caused both pieces of memory to die at the same time,
though. Since I currently don't have any way of knowing, I'm going to chalk
it up to a bad manufacturing run. Thanks to all who helped along the way.

--
Bob Horton

From: Paul G on
Hi Bob,

Glad to hear that you got the problem fixed. If you don't mind me
asking, what brand is the defective memory? Some memory manufacturers
have a lifetime warranty for their high-end memory. Maybe you
can have those 2 sticks replaced for free.

Take care,
Paul

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:01:42 GMT, "Bob Horton"

From: Bob Horton on
> Hi Bob,
>
> Glad to hear that you got the problem fixed. If you don't mind me
> asking, what brand is the defective memory? Some memory manufacturers
> have a lifetime warranty for their high-end memory. Maybe you
> can have those 2 sticks replaced for free.
>
> Take care,
> Paul
>

> On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:01:42 GMT, "Bob Horton"
> <no_re_horton_jr_maps(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Paul G" <paul_gnr(a)yahooooo.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Bob,
>> >
>> > Since you had the same problem with the second board, I would
>> > narrow down the list of probable causes to the following:
>> >
>> > (1) Bad power supply,
>> > (2) Bad memory,
>> > (3) Bad video card.
>> >
>> > I'm leaning more towards either (1) or (2). I recommend that you
>> > borrow a power supply from a friend and try it out. Also, make
>> > sure you don't connect a power cable to the video card .
>> >
>> > Could you please list the make and model of each of the 3 parts above?
>> >
>> > Take care,
>> > Paul
>>
>> Sorry but I've been away again. The good news is that I have fixed the
>> problem! It turned out that BOTH of my sticks of memory died; neither
>> stick
>> would post! I have honestly never seen this happen before. I had tried
>> each stick separately and in every MB slot, but I had not tried totally
>> different memory. I had an old stick of 512 MB PC 2700 RAM laying around
>> which I stuck in just for the hell of it and the machine booted
>> perfectly.
>> I now have 2 MB of new Centon memory installed. I have run memtest on
>> these
>> without any errors reported, so I am happy. I am still a bit perplexed
>> as
>> to what may have caused both pieces of memory to die at the same time,
>> though. Since I currently don't have any way of knowing, I'm going to
>> chalk
>> it up to a bad manufacturing run. Thanks to all who helped along the
>> way.

Great minds thinking alike and all -- the memory was Centon's lifetime
guarantee stuff. I called them yesterday and got an RMA. They said they
have to look at them but assuming they show no signs of abuse (they don't,
as they weren't abused!), they'll send replacements in the next couple of
weeks.

--
Bob Horton

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last