From: Bob Horton on
Hi!

I have an A8N32-SLI Deluxe system (4800+ processor, 2 sticks of 1 GB PC 3200
RAM, 256 MB NVIDIA PCI-E video, 2 500 GB SATA drives in a JBOD array, one
ATA storage drive, 500 Watt power supply) that has been rock solid for
around a year. When I came in to work this AM, the machine had a text
screen that said something like "BIOS Checksum error, looking for floppy,
looking for CD". I inserted the ASUS CD to activate the automatic BIOS
repair. The machine seemed to do the repair, then left the message on the
screen (paraphrasing) to power down the machine to get your system back. I
did so, but I then got the original error message back. I repeated the
process about a dozen times, then decided (after Google research) to reset
the CMOS by using the procedure in the manual (unplug the machine, pull the
battery, move the jumper position for ten seconds, reset jumper, reinstall
battery). At that point all that would happen when I powered up the machine
is that the fans would all power up, the HDD and CD lights would come on,
and the green light on the MB would come on. Nothing else happened (no
beeps, blank screen). I tried reseating all connections. I tried only using
one stick of memory (trying all combinations of slots and alternating which
stick I used). I did not have by voltmeter at work so I couldn't check the
battery voltage or the output on the power supply. I am hoping someone here
has a suggestion as to what to try next. Also, FWIW, the BIOS on this
machine has never been flashed; I wasn't doing anything to the machine when
this happened, as this apparently occurred sometime during the night.

TIA.

--
Bob Horton

From: Paul G on
It could be a bad battery. Try replacing it and see what happens.
Also, this link might be helpful:
http://www-new.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Misc/Q_21031498.html

Paul

From: Bob Horton on
"Paul G" <paul_gnr(a)yahooooo.com> wrote in message
> It could be a bad battery. Try replacing it and see what happens.
> Also, this link might be helpful:
> http://www-new.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Misc/Q_21031498.html
>
> Paul
>
> "Bob Horton" <no_re_horton_jr_maps(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have an A8N32-SLI Deluxe system (4800+ processor, 2 sticks of 1 GB PC
>> 3200 RAM, 256 MB NVIDIA PCI-E video, 2 500 GB SATA drives in a JBOD
>> array, one ATA storage drive, 500 Watt power supply) that has been rock
>> solid for around a year. When I came in to work this AM, the machine had
>> a text screen that said something like "BIOS Checksum error, looking for
>> floppy, looking for CD". I inserted the ASUS CD to activate the
>> automatic BIOS repair. The machine seemed to do the repair, then left
>> the message on the screen (paraphrasing) to power down the machine to get
>> your system back. I did so, but I then got the original error message
>> back. I repeated the process about a dozen times, then decided (after
>> Google research) to reset the CMOS by using the procedure in the manual
>> (unplug the machine, pull the battery, move the jumper position for ten
>> seconds, reset jumper, reinstall battery). At that point all that would
>> happen when I powered up the machine is that the fans would all power up,
>> the HDD and CD lights would come on, and the green light on the MB would
>> come on. Nothing else happened (no beeps, blank screen). I tried
>> reseating all connections. I tried only using one stick of memory (trying
>> all combinations of slots and alternating which stick I used). I did not
>> have by voltmeter at work so I couldn't check the battery voltage or the
>> output on the power supply. I am hoping someone here has a suggestion as
>> to what to try next. Also, FWIW, the BIOS on this machine has never been
>> flashed; I wasn't doing anything to the machine when this happened, as
>> this apparently occurred sometime during the night.
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Horton

Thanks Paul. I am a member of Experts Exchange, so I had checked out that
lead. I picked up a battery today and will try it tomorrow. I would be
(pleasantly!) surprised if a one year old battery died, but it sure beats
the alternatives. I', also taking my multi-meter so I can thoroughly check
out the power supply. It figures that this would be my own personal
machine, thus the Sunday OT!

--
Bob Horton

From: Bill on
In article <Ukszh.26001$yC5.5210(a)newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>,
no_re_horton_jr_maps(a)hotmail.com says...

<snip>
> Thanks Paul. I am a member of Experts Exchange, so I had checked out that
> lead. I picked up a battery today and will try it tomorrow. I would be
> (pleasantly!) surprised if a one year old battery died, but it sure beats
> the alternatives.
<snip>

I won't be a bit surprised if it says KTS on the back of the battery
and it's your problem. Crappiest batteries in the world. I've seen them
dead in brand new boards. Anymore I just rip it out if it says KTS on
it and replace it with a Duracell, Panasonic, or Eveready.

Bill

--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.
From: Bob Horton on
"Bill" <spamtrap(a)tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
> In article <Ukszh.26001$yC5.5210(a)newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>,
> no_re_horton_jr_maps(a)hotmail.com says...
>>
> <snip>
>> Thanks Paul. I am a member of Experts Exchange, so I had checked out
>> that
>> lead. I picked up a battery today and will try it tomorrow. I would be
>> (pleasantly!) surprised if a one year old battery died, but it sure beats
>> the alternatives.
> <snip>
>
> I won't be a bit surprised if it says KTS on the back of the battery
> and it's your problem. Crappiest batteries in the world. I've seen them
> dead in brand new boards. Anymore I just rip it out if it says KTS on
> it and replace it with a Duracell, Panasonic, or Eveready.
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Well, no joy. The battery was at 3.15 volts. I changed it anyway but as
you would expect, nothing happened. I took the machine down to the MB, a
stick of known-good 512 RAM, the video card, the HDD's, the DVD, and the
floppy and nothing happened. I checked out the power supply with the
voltmeter and everything looked OK there. Watching closely, though, the
busy light on the floppy never comes on now (it did when this whole thing
started). The floppy has 5 volts on one side of the power cord and 12 volts
on the other and the cabling is correct (heck, it worked for a year). I
tried once more to reseat all the cables and no joy. I took a look at the
processor and there is no visual sign of overheating. My guess at this
point is that the board is dead. It is just now coming up on a year old, so
I guess I'll see what ASUS has to say on this. Any other suggestions are
gratefully appreciated. Once again, TIA (and thanks again to all who have
helped thus far).

--
Bob Horton

 |  Next  |  Last