From: nickdu on
I've written a .NET console application which makes use of the DirectoryEntry
object to gain access to IIS configuration using the IIS ADSI feature.
Optionally you can specify a username and password on the command line and if
specified I'll pass those along to the DirectoryEntry object. However when I
make use of the username and password it doesn't seem to make a difference.

My setup is a bit abnormal as my computer is not part of the domain I'm
connected to and not sure if that's part of the problem.

I can run the application against my local IIS server and it works fine.

If I try to run it against a server on the network, which I'm an admin on,
it doesn't work.

If I run it against a server on the network and provide my username and
password it doesn't work.

If I start a command window as my domain account (via 'runas
/user:domain\user /netonly cmd') and run my application in that window
against a server on the network it works fine.

If I start a command window as my domain account and run my application in
that window against a server on the network specifying a bogus username and
password it works fine.

Just wondering how this username and password are used, if at all, for
authentication when using the IIS ADSI component?
--
Thanks,
Nick

nicknospamdu(a)community.nospam
remove "nospam" change community. to msn.com
From: "WenJun Zhang[msft]" on
Hi Nick,

This is expected. The process should run as your domain credential to
connect to remote IIS ADSI provider.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

WenJun Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support

suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to you.