From: Yousuf Khan on
Been trying to enable AHCI mode in the BIOS of my new motherboard, but
XP always ends in failure. I have Ubuntu Linux in multi-boot, and that
has absolutely no problems booting from a SATA drive running in AHCI
mode. Try to boot the XP in the same mode, and it reboots right away.
I've tried pre-installing (without enabling) the AHCI drivers into XP
ahead of time, and they keep failing the install, saying they are not
compatible with the existing hardware.

I've found instructions for installing the Intel AHCI drivers on the
web, but they don't seem to be relevant to my motherboard, which uses th
AMD 785G chipset.

Yousuf Khan
From: Arno on
Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Been trying to enable AHCI mode in the BIOS of my new motherboard, but
> XP always ends in failure. I have Ubuntu Linux in multi-boot, and that
> has absolutely no problems booting from a SATA drive running in AHCI
> mode. Try to boot the XP in the same mode, and it reboots right away.
> I've tried pre-installing (without enabling) the AHCI drivers into XP
> ahead of time, and they keep failing the install, saying they are not
> compatible with the existing hardware.

> I've found instructions for installing the Intel AHCI drivers on the
> web, but they don't seem to be relevant to my motherboard, which uses th
> AMD 785G chipset.

> Yousuf Khan

Actually AHCI drivers should work for all AHCI controllers, that
is the whole idea. So if your chipset is AHCI capable and AHCI
mode is enabled in the BIOS, the AHCI driver should work.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: andy on
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:10:24 -0500, Yousuf Khan
<bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Been trying to enable AHCI mode in the BIOS of my new motherboard, but
>XP always ends in failure. I have Ubuntu Linux in multi-boot, and that
>has absolutely no problems booting from a SATA drive running in AHCI
>mode. Try to boot the XP in the same mode, and it reboots right away.
>I've tried pre-installing (without enabling) the AHCI drivers into XP
>ahead of time, and they keep failing the install, saying they are not
>compatible with the existing hardware.

Do a repair install. Set the mode of the interface to AHCI. Then boot
from the XP CD, pressing F6 to load the AMD AHCI driver, and repair
install XP.

From: Yousuf Khan on
Arno wrote:
> Actually AHCI drivers should work for all AHCI controllers, that
> is the whole idea. So if your chipset is AHCI capable and AHCI
> mode is enabled in the BIOS, the AHCI driver should work.

So you're saying that the Intel AHCI drivers should work on my AMD chipset?

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
andy wrote:
> Do a repair install. Set the mode of the interface to AHCI. Then boot
> from the XP CD, pressing F6 to load the AMD AHCI driver, and repair
> install XP.

I think I need a floppy drive to do that on XP, right?

Yousuf Khan
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Remote undelete?