From: Yousuf Khan on
Gary wrote:
> What does it usually mean when I run a disk scan for bad sectors on c
> drive and the result is "Windows was unable to complete the disk scan"
>
> The symptom is a blue screen saying that there is most likely a bad
> piece of hardware.

Download the free Everest utilities, from the following website:

http://www.lavalys.com/

Run the Storage -> SMART report on the appropriate hard drive, and post
the results to your reply.

Yousuf Khan
From: David B. on
A smart report is useless, more often than not when I find a bad hard drive.
smart believes there is no problem with the drive, it's unreliable at best.

From: Cronos on
David B. wrote:
> A smart report is useless, more often than not when I find a bad hard
> drive. smart believes there is no problem with the drive, it's
> unreliable at best.

HDtune is good at finding bad sectors if you use the slow scan mode. I
was getting BSOD on Vista once and suspected the HDD after finding no
issue with ram or anything else but even the HDD manufacturer's
diagnostics software didn't see the bad block causing it. Ran HDTune in
slow scan mode and it found it, replaced the HDD and no more BSOD.

http://www.hdtune.com/
From: Rod Speed on
David B. wrote:

> A smart report is useless, more often than not when I find a bad hard drive. smart believes there is no problem with
> the drive, it's unreliable at best.

Wrong. You do need to be able to interpret the raw data and not
just mindlessly look at the OKs, and when you do that, you can often
see a failing hard drive from the number of reallocated sectors etc.

From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage David B. <mail(a)nomail.net> wrote:
> A smart report is useless, more often than not when I find a bad hard drive.
> smart believes there is no problem with the drive, it's unreliable at best.

Nobody said to look at the "smart status", which is pretty useless.
Hovever the concrete values of the individual SMART attributes are
not. Seems you are not using 99% of what SMART offers.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: AHCI mode & XP
Next: Why isn't the sector reallocating?