From: Cronos on
Arno wrote:

> Not really. My problem is that I don't like the style and
> that the ideas were not new to me.

I take it you don't watch any movie that has the same general theme as
another movie then? That must weed out 99% of your movie watching
because there are only about 4 general themes in all movies.

> Actually you cannot read it up. Well, you can, but mostly in
> the archives of this group, as the actual meaning differs by
> drive and environmental conditions. The part that takes
> intelligence is to find out whether the meaning for a similar
> drive is duplicated or not and how a specific drive behaves.

You call Hesse boring but reading about SMART data isn't? Gee, you must
be a really exciting guy and I bet the women just love your
conversational skills.
From: Cronos on
Franc Zabkar wrote:

> For example, the author of HD Tune doesn't appear to understand that
> raw attribute values are 48-bit numbers rather than 32-bit. HD Tune
> will therefore sometimes report negative decimal numbers for the "LBAs
> Read and Written" attributes.

I don't care about that. If HDTune shows a red block on a pretty yellow
background then I know there is an issue with the HDD.
From: Cronos on
Gerry wrote:
> Cronos
>
> The version you are referring to is 4, whereas an earlier version still
> available is Freeware.

OK, thanks.
From: Franc Zabkar on
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:37:29 -0800, Cronos <cronos(a)sphere.invalid> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>Franc Zabkar wrote:
>
>> For example, the author of HD Tune doesn't appear to understand that
>> raw attribute values are 48-bit numbers rather than 32-bit. HD Tune
>> will therefore sometimes report negative decimal numbers for the "LBAs
>> Read and Written" attributes.
>
>I don't care about that. If HDTune shows a red block on a pretty yellow
>background then I know there is an issue with the HDD.

What you know is that HD Tune's author thinks there is an issue.

Tell me why HD Tune's author chooses to highlight the following Spin
Retry Count in yellow:
http://eric514.mailpeers.net/hd-tune-ST3500630A.jpg

- Franc Zabkar
From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Cronos <cronos(a)sphere.invalid> wrote:
> Franc Zabkar wrote:

>> For example, the author of HD Tune doesn't appear to understand that
>> raw attribute values are 48-bit numbers rather than 32-bit. HD Tune
>> will therefore sometimes report negative decimal numbers for the "LBAs
>> Read and Written" attributes.

> I don't care about that. If HDTune shows a red block on a pretty yellow
> background then I know there is an issue with the HDD.

A bit of an extremely simplicitic view of a complex issue...

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----