From: mynick on
Is there some undelete software that can run only locally and undelete
from a mapped network ntfs disk without the aid of an client/agent
installed/running on that remote computer?
From: mscotgrove on
On Jan 18, 2:15 am, mynick <anglom...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is there some undelete software that can run only locally and undelete
> from a mapped network ntfs disk without the aid of an client/agent
> installed/running on that remote computer?

To perform a an undelete it is necessary to access the hard drive
directly, and manipulate a bit in the MFT sector.

A mapped drive is a logical drive, that need not actually be NTFS, it
just needs to creates, read, write files etc.

My quick answer is that this is not possible without a client
application being loaded, but I too would be interested if there was a
solution

Michael
From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage mynick <anglomont(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is there some undelete software that can run only locally and undelete
> from a mapped network ntfs disk without the aid of an client/agent
> installed/running on that remote computer?

I doubt that very much, as the filesystem will not export
the required information over the network.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: mynick on
On Jan 19, 1:56 am, Arno <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage mynick <anglom...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there some undelete software that can run only locally and undelete
> > from a mapped network ntfs disk without the aid of an client/agent
> > installed/running on thatremotecomputer?
>
> I doubt that very much, as the filesystem will not export
> the required information over the network.
>
> Arno
>
> --
> Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: a...(a)wagner.name
> GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
> ----
> Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan Evans

why not send info from hdd directly over tcp/ip instead of an agent
doing the hdd search remotely and just sending the resulting list to
local
From: mscotgrove on
On Jan 19, 3:23 pm, mynick <anglom...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jan 19, 1:56 am, Arno <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>

> > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage mynick <anglom...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Is there some undelete software that can run only locally and undelete
> > > from a mapped network ntfs disk without the aid of an client/agent
> > > installed/running on thatremotecomputer?
>
> > I doubt that very much, as the filesystem will not export
> > the required information over the network.
>
> > Arno
>
> > --
> > Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: a...(a)wagner..name
> > GnuPG:  ID: 1E25338F  FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C  0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
> > ----
> > Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan Evans
>
> why not send info from hdd directly over tcp/ip instead of an agent
> doing the hdd search remotely and just sending the resulting list to
> local- Hide quoted text -

Could you expand on this please.

To undelete a file it is necessary to access the hard drive on a
sector level, and rewrite the MFT entry. There is no way I am aware
of doing this over a general purpose ethernet link. If this was
easily possible, network security would be a complete nightmare.

Michael