From: ZalekBloom on
Hello,

I decided to replace HD in my laptop. It is HP Pavilion DV2000. I need
some kind of adapter to connect it to my desktop (my desktop have SATA
and IDE drives) to clone the old HD to a new one.
It says my disk is SATA Serial - but I see it is not regular SATA
adapter.
Here are pictures of my HD:
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test1.jpg
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test3.jpg
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test4.jpg

Any idea what kind adapter do I need?

Thanks,

Zalek
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <8ro4l59hi6u0o8jbc2hj2sbbfbtm8p99d4(a)4ax.com>,
ZalekBloom(a)hotmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I decided to replace HD in my laptop. It is HP Pavilion DV2000. I need
> some kind of adapter to connect it to my desktop (my desktop have SATA
> and IDE drives) to clone the old HD to a new one.
> It says my disk is SATA Serial - but I see it is not regular SATA
> adapter.
> Here are pictures of my HD:
> http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test1.jpg
> http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test3.jpg
> http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test4.jpg
>
> Any idea what kind adapter do I need?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zalek

Q: What does this have to do with Mac hardware?
A: Nothing at all.

So why did you post this to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage?

JR
From: nospam on
In article <8ro4l59hi6u0o8jbc2hj2sbbfbtm8p99d4(a)4ax.com>,
<ZalekBloom(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> I decided to replace HD in my laptop. It is HP Pavilion DV2000. I need
> some kind of adapter to connect it to my desktop (my desktop have SATA
> and IDE drives) to clone the old HD to a new one.
> It says my disk is SATA Serial - but I see it is not regular SATA
> adapter.

the easiest way is get a 2.5" usb disk enclosure for serial ata drives.
then you can attach it to anything, even a mac.

why did you post this to a mac group?
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> It says my disk is SATA Serial - but I see it is not regular SATA
> adapter.

Yes it is. The connector you see in picture three is removable. It can be
carefully pried off. When you do, it will reveal the conventional SATA
connector you want. You must keep that adapter and transfer it to the
replacement drive (if there is one).

William

From: John McGaw on
On 1/16/2010 8:11 PM, ZalekBloom(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I decided to replace HD in my laptop. It is HP Pavilion DV2000. I need
> some kind of adapter to connect it to my desktop (my desktop have SATA
> and IDE drives) to clone the old HD to a new one.
> It says my disk is SATA Serial - but I see it is not regular SATA
> adapter.
> Here are pictures of my HD:
> http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test1.jpg
> http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test3.jpg
> http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test4.jpg
>
> Any idea what kind adapter do I need?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zalek

Take a close look at the illustration of the connector end of the Fujitsu
drive in your first picture. Then compare it to the photo in the third
picture. Clearly different. But Fujitsu says in their spec sheet that they
use the connector as shown in the first picture. These facts lead me to
believe that the drive is in an adapter of some sort added by the laptop's
maker.

This used to be quite common in laptops as a way of protecting the fragile
pins on the old micro-IDE connectors and perhaps your maker continued the
practice beyond the point where it makes sense. Check closely and you
should be able to identify the point where drive ends and adapter begins.
If the package is wrapped up in shielding you will need to gently open the
shielding. I've replaced a number of drives using adapters with shielding
and have never found that leaving the shielding out hurt anything.