From: Peter Ceresole on
I would like to create custom warning tunes- very short- for OS 10.6.4.

I used to use Sound Studio, which was absolutely fine, but I can't face
paying that much money to create five or six two second riffs.

I need to edit down some very short riffs. I've done it in the past, but
they are in Sound Studio format and nothing I have will play them.

Is there anything that will do the job and not cost *too* much money? Is
there some kind of OS10.6 sound can opener and converter?
--
Peter
From: Woody on
Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I would like to create custom warning tunes- very short- for OS
> 10.6.4.
>
> I used to use Sound Studio, which was absolutely fine, but I can't
> face
> paying that much money to create five or six two second riffs.
>
> I need to edit down some very short riffs. I've done it in the past,
> but
> they are in Sound Studio format and nothing I have will play them.
>
> Is there anything that will do the job and not cost *too* much money?
> Is
> there some kind of OS10.6 sound can opener and converter?

Audacity <http://audacity.sourceforge.net/> can do it, it's a bit ugly
but does the job and is free. It is fairly obvious how to use if you
have used sound studio

--
Woody
From: Peter Ceresole on
Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

> Audacity <http://audacity.sourceforge.net/> can do it

Brilliant. Thank you very much.
--
Peter
From: Peter Ceresole on
Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

> Audacity <http://audacity.sourceforge.net/> can do it, it's a bit ugly
> but does the job and is free. It is fairly obvious how to use if you
> have used sound studio

Fairly, yes. At least I now have my arriving emails announced by one bar
of Benny Goodman's 'Swingtime in the Rockies'. 'Sosumi' was driving me
nuts, reminding me of my new-found inadequacy with the iMac.

It's just a bit rough, I haven't yet tapered the tail of the warning
sound, but I can see that it's coming along fine.

Thanks for pointing me at Audacity.
--
Peter
From: Adrian Tuddenham on
Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Audacity <http://audacity.sourceforge.net/> can do it, it's a bit ugly
> > but does the job and is free. It is fairly obvious how to use if you
> > have used sound studio
>
> Fairly, yes. At least I now have my arriving emails announced by one bar
> of Benny Goodman's 'Swingtime in the Rockies'. 'Sosumi' was driving me
> nuts, reminding me of my new-found inadequacy with the iMac.
>
> It's just a bit rough, I haven't yet tapered the tail of the warning
> sound, but I can see that it's coming along fine.
>
> Thanks for pointing me at Audacity.

Make sure you get the right version. I used the wrong one for audio
editing on an Intel iMac, it appeared to work but then it screwed up the
orignal files.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk