From: D.M. Procida on
R <me32(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> I am experiencing repeated filesystem corruption.
>
> It has occurred on both internal hard disks and an external USB flash
> drive, all of which were HFS+ formatted and accessed by from OS X
> 10.6.x.

I'd always suspect a bad hard disk, but in your case, I don't know what
to say.

Daniele
From: Rowland McDonnell on
D.M. Procida <real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:

> R <me32(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > I am experiencing repeated filesystem corruption.
> >
> > It has occurred on both internal hard disks and an external USB flash
> > drive, all of which were HFS+ formatted and accessed by from OS X
> > 10.6.x.
>
> I'd always suspect a bad hard disk, but in your case, I don't know what
> to say.

Last time I met symptoms similar, it was on my littlest bro's 80286
no-name PC - back in the days when you had to manually park the heads,
and he never bothered. The disc surface ended up flaky and I don't mean
that as a metaphor.

So I suppose if nothing else can be shown to cause the problem, suspect
a dying disc...

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Andrew Hodgkinson on
On 10/07/2010 13:24, R wrote:

> It has occurred on both internal hard disks and an external USB flash
> drive, all of which were HFS+ formatted and accessed by from OS X
> 10.6.x.
> The problems started occurring shortly after moving from OS X 10.5.8

Although you're not having odd crashes elsewhere, a hardware problem is
still a possibility. You may have failing RAM in the machine. If it's a
Mac Pro, this will be detected and reported in the system log. All sorts
of strange things can happen with bad RAM, including things which seem
inconsistent (e.g. only OS X HFS seems to get damaged and there are no
other crashes might happen because the OS X filesystem drivers end up
consistently loaded in a particular place in physical RAM and cause a
particular pattern of RAM access).

Otherwise, I suggest you try a clean installation of OS X at your
earliest convenience - you should not be seeing regular filesystem
corruption. The only time I've ever needed to repair a disc on Tiger
through to Snow Leopard is due to the machine being switched off without
being shut down. Once you've got the clean installation, verify that
corruption is no longer happening. After you reinstall your applications,
if corruption reappears, then you know that some 3rd party software you
just installed is to blame.

NB if you do a full Time Machine backup, install Snow Leopard 'clean',
then use Migration Assistant to recover your Home folder from the Time
Machine backup, reinstalling your applications gets a lot easier. Most of
the preferences and registration details (where relevant) get stored in
your Home folder's library, restored by the Migration Assistant and will
be picked up by the application when installed.

--
TTFN, Andrew Hodgkinson
Find some electronic music at: Photos, wallpaper, software and more:
From: Andrew Hodgkinson on
On 12/07/2010 13:49, R wrote:

> I'm wondering if more can be done in the way of direct diagnosis.
> There are still those pesky files in lost+found. Perhaps there is a
> pattern there to be discovered. I would like to know, too, what
> exactly fsck (if that's what Disk Utility is using) has fixed.

OK; well, you're going to have to start hitting Google and friends to
read and learn all you can about the HFS+ filesystem then apply that
knowledge to the error messages shown by Disk Utility when you try to
verify a disk and it reports problems.

From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-07-12 17:19:06 +0100, Andrew Hodgkinson said:

> On 12/07/2010 13:49, R wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if more can be done in the way of direct diagnosis.
>> There are still those pesky files in lost+found. Perhaps there is a
>> pattern there to be discovered. I would like to know, too, what
>> exactly fsck (if that's what Disk Utility is using) has fixed.
>
> OK; well, you're going to have to start hitting Google and friends to
> read and learn all you can about the HFS+ filesystem then apply that
> knowledge to the error messages shown by Disk Utility when you try to
> verify a disk and it reports problems.

Amit Singh's hfsdebug tool might prove helpful. TBH I'd boot a 32-bit
kernel and see if the problem cures itself.
--
Chris

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: AIFF editor and creator for short tunes
Next: Full Moon