From: Golden California Girls on
M�ns Rullg�rd wrote:
> Ian Collins <ian-news(a)hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 07/ 5/10 10:54 AM, John Kelly wrote:

>>> What's wrong with "advertising" free software.
>> Open source projects have their own mail lists. If you are interested
>> in the project, subscribe to its list(s).
>>
>> Release announcements on general Usenet groups are spam.
>
> We had this discussion once before:
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.misc/browse_frm/thread/1e98b8a4c016dd1
>
> I'm not holding any hopes the spam will cease.

Does he otherwise contribute here? Just filter on him.

From: John Kelly on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 00:57:07 +0100, M�ns Rullg�rd <mans(a)mansr.com>
wrote:

>Ian Collins <ian-news(a)hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 07/ 5/10 10:54 AM, John Kelly wrote:
>
>>> What's wrong with "advertising" free software.
>>
>> Open source projects have their own mail lists. If you are interested
>> in the project, subscribe to its list(s).
>>
>> Release announcements on general Usenet groups are spam.
>
>We had this discussion once before:
>http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.misc/browse_frm/thread/1e98b8a4c016dd1

Yeah, somebody said

"the particular complainers in this thread come off as self important,
officious twits"

>I'm not holding any hopes the spam will cease.

If you think announcements are spam then stay with reading private mail
lists. Usenet is a big CB radio. Anyone with a transmitter can talk.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

From: tm on
On 5 Jul., 00:22, Sjouke Burry <burrynulnulf...(a)ppllaanneett.nnll>
wrote:
> tm wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > I have released a new version of Seed7: seed7_05_20100704.tgz
>
> Is this dude ...

I am not a "dude".
BTW.: Please speak to me directly and not behind my back.

> ... trying to get into the Guiness book of records???

No

> Weekly and somtimes daily new versions??

I do releases every two weeks and sometimes three weeks.
I think that maintaining and supporting software is a
good idea. Have you ever downloaded free software that is
not maintained? Do you really prefer unmaintained stuff?

BTW.: When someone re-releases my stuff daily, please tell me.

Have you looked at the released package? The Seed7 package
contains interpreter, compiler, example programs and documentation.
There are

87999 Lines in C source files
9289 Lines in C header files
28462 Lines in Seed7 library files
93952 Lines in Seed7 program files
-----------------------------------
219702 Source lines in total

The package will compile and work on several operating systems and
with several C compilers. It supports many features which are
not mainstream and are missing in competing programming languages.

Do you have an idea what commercial development of software with
this size costs? I prefer to give this stuff away for free
with source code licensed under GPL/LGPL. The Seed7 package contains
also documentation

12456 Lines in text documentation and
10703 Lines in HTML documentation

Additionally there is also the Seed7 Homepage which contains even
more documentation (such as an algorithm collection and screen-shots
with explanations).

What about criticizing my work instead of my person?

You could download Seed7 and review it. Or you could look at the
Seed7 Homepage and check the documentation for errors. Such critic
is always welcome.

BTW.: Thanks to all people who help to improve Seed7.
Listing all supporters in this message would be considered spam, but
I plan to create a "Hall of fame" in the homepage.

Greetings Thomas Mertes

From: Richard Heathfield on
tm wrote:
> On 5 Jul., 00:22, Sjouke Burry <burrynulnulf...(a)ppllaanneett.nnll>
> wrote:
>> tm wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I have released a new version of Seed7: seed7_05_20100704.tgz
>> Is this dude ...
>
> I am not a "dude".
> BTW.: Please speak to me directly and not behind my back.

Posting his comment in three different Usenet groups hardly qualifies as
talking about you behind your back, especially when you selected the
newsgroups.

>> ... trying to get into the Guiness book of records???
>
> No
>
>> Weekly and somtimes daily new versions??
>
> I do releases every two weeks and sometimes three weeks.
> I think that maintaining and supporting software is a
> good idea. Have you ever downloaded free software that is
> not maintained? Do you really prefer unmaintained stuff?

"Release early, release often" is a perfectly workable strategy that
makes a lot of sense. Posting announcements of releases to Usenet so
often that you get up people's noses shows a lot less sense.

I recall posting a light-hearted remark about the frequency with which
you announce releases on Usenet - nothing heavy, just a little light
banter - and you responded about as angrily that time as you did this
time. You are not winning any users by being so aggressive.

Here's a win-win suggestion for you - write yourself a program (in Seed7
if you wish) that generates a sigfile containing information about the
latest release; that way, every time you post to Usenet, on whatever
subject you wish, you will be advertising the latest release in a way
that nobody can reasonably object to - sigblocks have never been
required to be topical or novel, just short. You could still do full
release announcements every three months or so (I don't think anyone
would object to that, would they?); you'd still be letting people know
about Seed7, but in a way that didn't get on people's wicks all the time.

Just a thought.

<snip>

Email: -http://www. +rjh@
Sig line vacant - apply within
From: tm on
On 13 Jul., 12:32, Richard Heathfield <r...(a)see.sig.invalid> wrote:
> tm wrote:
> > On 5 Jul., 00:22, Sjouke Burry <burrynulnulf...(a)ppllaanneett.nnll>
> > wrote:
> >> Is this dude ...
>
> > I am not a "dude".
> > BTW.: Please speak to me directly and not behind my back.
>
> Posting his comment in three different Usenet groups hardly qualifies as
> talking about you behind your back, especially when you selected the
> newsgroups.

Sorry that I misapplied the phrase "behind my back". I a not a
native speaker. What I was trying to say is that in a direct answer
to my mail I would like to be addressed first person (E.g.: Do you
try to get into ... ) instead of being referred as "dude" and being
talked about in third person (E.g.: Is this dude ... ). :-)

> >> ... trying to get into the Guiness book of records???
>
> > No
>
> >> Weekly and somtimes daily new versions??
>
> > I do releases every two weeks and sometimes three weeks.
> > I think that maintaining and supporting software is a
> > good idea. Have you ever downloaded free software that is
> > not maintained? Do you really prefer unmaintained stuff?
>
> "Release early, release often" is a perfectly workable strategy that
> makes a lot of sense. Posting announcements of releases to Usenet so
> often that you get up people's noses shows a lot less sense.
>
> I recall posting a light-hearted remark about the frequency with which
> you announce releases on Usenet - nothing heavy, just a little light
> banter - and you responded about as angrily that time as you did this
> time.

I cannot remember (hopefully not Alzheimer), but sorry about my
unfriendly reaction to your critic. I take everything back...

> You are not winning any users by being so aggressive.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will ...

It was not my intention to be aggressive when I explained that I
don't release weekly or daily. To show my peacefulness I invite
everybody to criticize my project and I promise to be the most
friendly person in the universe (really - no sarcasm!).

> Here's a win-win suggestion for you - write yourself a program (in Seed7
> if you wish) that generates a sigfile containing information about the
> latest release; that way, every time you post to Usenet, on whatever
> subject you wish, you will be advertising the latest release in a way
> that nobody can reasonably object to - sigblocks have never been
> required to be topical or novel, just short. You could still do full
> release announcements every three months or so (I don't think anyone
> would object to that, would they?); you'd still be letting people know
> about Seed7, but in a way that didn't get on people's wicks all the time.
>
> Just a thought.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will think over it.

Greetings Thomas Mertes

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: client socket